Barclays Bank Pays 1% Corporation Tax

Guest sibon

Because selling the shares in great quantities would devalue them. Supply and demand.

Anyway if they are shareholders, then we will be receiving dividends from them.

I never thought of that. I suppose if lots of something becomes available then those buying can negotiate a bulk discount.

Disingenuous. Barclays would have collapsed had public money not been pumped into the system. It's not speculative to guess that future bank investors would be more careful if they saw their predecessors lose everything.

I think that's right. John Varley the previous cheif executive admitted as much in an interview posted here

http://www.channel4.com/news/articles/business_money/did+barclays+benefit+from+bailout+measures/3293597.html

Oh Dear

No wonder the country is in the <REMOVED> when so may people think that Barclays are being victimised at a time when NHS Trusts axe front line staff and beds and freeze non-urgent surgery leaving Operating theatres (and staff)under used, when staff pension schemes are closed, pay is frozen whilst inflation hits 5%, energy prices go spiral upwards etc

The bottom line is that Barclays pay a mere 1% Corporation Tax on BRITISH based trading as a result of legal tax-dodging. Small British companies pay 20% + . The difference being that Barclays is the tail that wags the dog

Oh and George Osborne still wants to cut Corporation Tax.......... I suppose he can raise VAT again to cover the costs

I just read this article (link below) apparently a whistle blower said in 2009 their job was to avoid tax by moving money to offshore companies in places like the Cayman Islands in the Caribbean. It was lead by Roger Jenkins nicknamed Roger the Dodger in the City who has since left his £40million-a-year post. The anonymous informant refused to go public with his claims so no further action could be taken.

http://www.people.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/2011/02/20/fury-as-barclays-pays-just-1-per-cent-corporation-tax-on-profits-of-11billion-102039-22935909/

I think it would probably be best all round if all the banks moved their head offices out of London and moved abroad. That way they when they did their job of avoiding tax it would probably be the Swiss who lost out, and as the banks would take most of the fat cats who pick up £2million bonuses, the Swiss would have the job of collecting their £million tax bills.

I think it would probably be best all round if all the banks moved their head offices out of London and moved abroad. That way they when they did their job of avoiding tax it would probably be the Swiss who lost out, and as the banks would take most of the fat cats who pick up £2million bonuses, the Swiss would have the job of collecting their £million tax bills.

everyone avoids tax. Perhaps everyone could leave. :loopy:

Archived