Are modern diesel engines longer lasting than petrol engines?

Years ago, before diesels became popular in run of the mill cars, the popular perception was that diesel engines lasted much longer than petrol units. At that time, the only diesel vehicles were taxis and commercial vehicles. Did these diesel vehicles last a long time because they were diesels, or was it because they were over-engineered?

The older diesels were of a simple and robust design and in a lower state of tune, ie they were pushrod and slow revving. The early ones didn't even have a solenoid in the pump to switch off the fuel, just manual de-compressor valves in the cylinder heads which stopped the engine. The modern motorist would not now accept this type of performance (not to mention the emissions).

There might be a case for higher engine wear in a petrol engine due to the diluting effect of

I had a boat which had a Japanese Yanmar diesel, it was pushrod, built like a tank, no electrics at all and would run for ever. Of course, marine diesels have a different different job to do than those for road vehicles and reliability is paramount.

There may be a case for higher engine wear in a petrol engine due to the dilution of lubricating oil in the upper cylinder, plus more water is produced in the combustion process.

It could be said that some diesel engines were over-engineered when compared with petrol engine designs which have been "converted" to diesel.

My diesel has done 85k in 3 yrs and only needed a timing belt, and the usual servicing. It has been returning me 55-60mpg, its also more powerful than alot of petrol's of the same size.

IMO diesels last long because they rev alot lower, diesels will easy do 150k, you dont often see a petrol last more than 100k. If you do its usually f**ked.

Archived