The training of Nurses

The frequent misrepresentation of Florence Nightingale being nothing more than a caring person and the following assumption that this must be all it takes to be a nurse irritates me beyond belief.

Nightingale was a gifted mathematician and statistician whose works contributed to more effective nursing and healthcare.

If nursing is to be recognised as a profession, and we have some way to go to achieve this, then of course it should be graduate entry. As nursing involves more technical tasks, complex decision making and professional responsibility how can it be acceptable to suggest a less demanding entry route for those who would be unable to undertake a degree? This would not be accepted in other fields and is indicative of the inaccurate and outdated public perception of nursing as a career.

Nurses are not 'angels' acting out of nobility. They are, and ought to be, consummate health professionals performing an essential and demanding role in very trying times.

I agree up to a point, but the paper shuffling is something a lot of nurses want a lot less of so that they can give their attention to looking after the patients.

Shouldn't the maths and statistics and decision making be the responsibility of the many managers employed by the NHS, not the nurses?

If someone spends four years at a nursing school, sweats all the exams and sacrifices nearly all their spare time studying they deserve some higher status otherwise what's the use of it all? Registered Nurses have to make many important decisions and if something goes wrong on their shift they take the blame

In the US there are Licenced Vocational Nurses and Nurses Aids to empty bed pans, change sheets and clean up feces and I am not demeaning the essential work and care they give. Far from it

So in the US you spend 4 years training...and then expect some understudy do the dirty work for you.

Hardly caring is it?

By definition a nurse Cares

Thank God we have caring nurses in the UK that are willing to undertake the "medial tasks".

So in the US you spend 4 years training...and then expect some understudy do the dirty work for you.Hardly caring is it?

By definition a nurse Cares

Thank God we have caring nurses in the UK that are willing to undertake the "medial tasks".

Obviously you never did an apprenticeship. When a bricklayer builds a wall he's not going to carry the bricks up the ladder to the scaffold is he? :hihi:

The same applies to a hospital. There is skilled nursing staff and semi skilled nursing staff. Each has responsibilities according to their level of training and aptitude.

Any hospital that would pay a highly skilled nurse 40 dollars an hour to change bedsheets and empty bedpans when there are semi-skilled nurses who do those jobs for 18 dollars an hour would soon go bankrupt.

US hospitals are not subsidised by the government. Their funding comes from the various health insurance companies who pay for the treatment of their members and also thru Medicare

This might cause a backlash, but Nurses used to be trained in hospitals and entered the job as a vocation and were taught the basic nursing values.

Today to be a Nurse you have to have a degree. A degree in what. They feel that general nursing is beneath them, bed pans and bed baths are the responsibility of the Auxiliaries because they have a degree.

There is no wonder the state of our hospitals is as it is now.

Florence Nightingale had no degree, but she had the skill of caring for her patients

Excuse me, I am a student nurse and you have to do just as much practical training as you do thoeyr, and believe me when I say, I have emptied many a bedpan in my time.. 'general nursing' is not beneath us, that is in fact the core of your skills... how dare you!

You ignorant, know-it-all (or so you think). Have some respect you idiot.

I am not having a go at Nurses I have been married to one for over 35 years and I have worked for hospitals on services for many a year.

The ones today not all of them have no concept of patient care

Are you serious?!!! Of course we do- I wouldn't do this if I didn't care about people!

I cannot believe how ignorant you are.

To be fair, I can see why people would not want to wipe someone elses bottom.

YUK :gag:

Just remember that when you are an elderly person, having had a whole life full of experiences, jobs, family.. and coming to a point where you cannot carry out basic care for yourself.... imagine how you would feel.

Troll or not, your attitude disgusts me.

You do not have a clue I am not having a go at Nurses, just the way they are now bieng trained. So wind your neck in.

So you don't think that 50/50 practical and theory time, learning about holistic care, the way the body works, medical conditions, psychology etc is useful?

Archived