Do you have a dormant bank account?

orbs

the goverment is after dormant bank accounts, when i read this i knew my sons had left old bank books behind when they left home. i found both, one from 1984 & had £84 in so give it to son & told him to find the old building society which had been taken over,then joined with another any way 2weeks down the line he rang to say he had his money n to guess how much.....

me i said £120 after all that time & what the interest is now. well the figure was £1002. this included shares for each time the bank changed hands. so get looking for those old bank books. sorry to say the second book had so little in it he only got a £9.00

Are the old Post Office Savings books still valid? I recently found mine (a blue book and a grey book) and have been wondering if they will have been closed down as they haven't been used for around 20 years ... there was still some money in them when they were last used!

Are the old Post Office Savings books still valid? I recently found mine (a blue book and a grey book) and have been wondering if they will have been closed down as they haven't been used for around 20 years ... there was still some money in them when they were last used!

Yes, albeit that's now called "National Savings Bank".

Send it (recorded delivery) to the Lytham St Annes address, with a covering letter.

The British banking Association has a service that you can access on line to check if you have any old accounts that you might have forgotten about. It is worth taking the time to run through the checks on the site if anyone has died and named you as an executor.

http://www.mylostaccount.org.uk/

I've just done that for myself! Thanks for the link. My gran told me a few years ago that she kept paying money for a few months into an account I had stopped using. This was back in the 90s! Cross your fingers for me!

A while back I was in a branch of TSB sorting some account out, and whilst checking my records, they found a dormant account which I used to have with my ex about 20 years ago. They said to me that if I wanted to close this account, I'd have to seek permission off the other person first. I laughed at this and said well it can remain dormant til doomsday for all I care. As if i'm going to track down my ex after all this time.

FACT: Had those three so-called Wise Men each invested £1 about 2011 years ago, at compound interest rates, the value of each account would by now be worth 100 000 gold spheres each the size of the Earth. So maybe they weren't all that wise after all.

Archived