For the sake of society £5.93

With regards to the minimum wage on channel 4s large exponential of original sum drops.

£5.33, 5.63 or 5.93.

As of October 2010.

(With current inflation you'd expect an accompanying rise in April!)

I thought Cameron and Clegg had already decided that most of us who earn less than them should take a pay-cut, as we are all in this together!

are they not raising the basic allowance rate at the same time which will, in effect, mean people receive more money in their pay packets?

This is the funny thing about this coalition government. One of the parties is opposed to raising the basic allowance, while the other party is opposed to raising VAT. So they agree to cancel each other out... even though each party got MPs elected on promises of fighting against the other party's policies. One thing both of the coalition parties campaigned on was the need to increase trust in the honesty of MPs. They seem to have conveniently forgotten that now.

Is the basic allowance still supposed to be rising more for those couples who agree to follow the Tory line and rush into marriage in order to get more money?

This is the funny thing about this coalition government. One of the parties is opposed to raising the basic allowance, while the other party is opposed to raising VAT. So they agree to cancel each other out... even though each party got MPs elected on promises of fighting against the other party's policies. One thing both of the coalition parties campaigned on was the need to increase trust in the honesty of MPs. They seem to have conveniently forgotten that now.

Is the basic allowance still supposed to be rising more for those couples who agree to follow the Tory line and rush into marriage in order to get more money?

The base level of income tax will rise by £1000 to £7475 on April first this year and will reach £10000 before the conclusion of this parliament.

http://www.moneywise.co.uk/news-views/2010/06/22/income-tax-threshold-to-rise-1000

The base level of income tax will rise by £1000 to £7475 on April first this year and will reach £10000 before the conclusion of this parliament.

http://www.moneywise.co.uk/news-views/2010/06/22/income-tax-threshold-to-rise-1000

They do need a pat on the back for that.

With inflation, bills will go up, but so will wages.

They do need a pat on the back for that.

With inflation, bills will go up, but so will wages.

I agree. The allowances don't seem to have kept pace with pay levels. £10k is about right IMO. I also think part of the tax allowances should be interchangeable between co-habiting couples.

I agree. The allowances don't seem to have kept pace with pay levels. £10k is about right IMO. I also think part of the tax allowances should be interchangeable between co-habiting couples.

Did you used to be able to claim part of a partners tax allowance if they weren't working?

Did you used to be able to claim part of a partners tax allowance if they weren't working?

Yes. My husband was very ill and on Incapacity Benefit for a while in the mid 1990s. I was working full time and was able to use part of his allowances against my tax. Having gone from two incomes down to one (plus a few quid IB), it helped a little.

I think it was a loophole in the rules though, if it had been my husband working and not me, he wouldn't have been able to use my tax allowances. :huh:

Archived