Willpower or not.

Just over 3 years ago due mainly to financial reasons i decided to stop smoking and cut out alcohol. At that time i was smoking 20 rothmans a day and drinking at least 8 pints most nights. I always thought i had little or no willpower but i have managed to stay off the beer & cigs, no problem. So why oh why dont i have the same willpower or mental attitude or whatever, to help me loose weight? Try as i might i just cant find the willpower to do it. I really do need to loose some as well or im not going to be here much longer. 5ft 8ins and 23 st you get the picture. Im just looking for some sensible advice. Thanks.

Depends what you eat, eating sausage rolls and cornish pasties, baked beans and a lot of other stuff isn't going to help but you've got to want to do it. Eat more fresh fruit and vegetables with a little meat, eat smaller portions and do some exercise. It's not easy but it's worth it. Sometimes you might feel starved and lose no weight but keep at it You might also want to keep a daily record of what you've eaten and how much weight you've lost.

I find dieting doesn't work. Yeah you lose weight in the short term but once you've reached your target weight you start putting it back on again. My advice would be to join a gym. A steady walk on the treadmill and some gentle swimming will work wonders for you. Be mindful of what you eat, have diet coke instead of full fat, don't have sugar in your tea/coffee. Don't snack. Buy crisps that are low calorie, eat fruit. Just a few minor adjustments. It won't happen overnight but you'll notice the difference after a couple of weeks.

Put duct tape over your lips between meals? It's far too painful to remove to snack if you're not really hungry :|

Seriously though, it might be useful to join a slimming club to get some moral support with your weight loss. You have people to talk to and it's an incentive to stick to healthy eating plans if you know you're going to be weighed each week.

Once you know how to eat 'sensibly' you can quit the classes and keep going by yourself.

And - when the weight starts to come off, you'll feel more inclined to exercise a little more and speed up the weight loss process.

Good luck! And well done on kicking the smoking and drinking excesses. You should be really proud of yourself for those achievements.

Put duct tape over your lips between meals? It's far too painful to remove to snack if you're not really hungry :|

Seriously though, it might be useful to join a slimming club to get some moral support with your weight loss. You have people to talk to and it's an incentive to stick to healthy eating plans if you know you're going to be weighed each week.

Once you know how to eat 'sensibly' you can quit the classes and keep going by yourself.

And - when the weight starts to come off, you'll feel more inclined to exercise a little more and speed up the weight loss process.

Good luck! And well done on kicking the smoking and drinking excesses. You should be really proud of yourself for those achievements.

Thanks 123456A

You seem to be someone who can kick habits!

I stopped smoking around 16 years ago by reading Allen Carrs 'Easy way to stop smoking' View thread here if you like

He did write other books, based on the same principles, one of which is a weight loss book - a quick Google search gives some reviews Here - no doubt you could find out more about this online.

Good luck!

Archived