Do you take Simvastatin

I took Simvastatin -they did a good job of lowering my cholersterol but, after around 6 months, I started having terrible muscular pains which got worse with time.

I ended up unable to sit for more than 5 minutes and hardly able to walk at all.

Took a long time before I realised (and only realised then because I saw a program on TV about it) that the Simvastatin was the cause and my doctor changed these to Pravastatin but the symptoms continued so I stopped taking statins altogether - decided I would sooner take my chances on a heart attack and even die rather than suffer like that.

Took a very long time before my problems subsided after I stopped taking them and many believe that some of the damage which has been done is irreversible.

The fact that you are obviously aware of the possibilities, gives you an advantage and enables you to monitor your health closely for unexplained symptoms - make proper notes of anything which is unusual and never happened before.

The majority of patients take them without any problems but, for those like me, the damage is unbelievable so take great care and good luck with your treatment.

That's me as well. So I stopped taking them of my own accord about six weeks ago, then I told my doctor what I had done and he sent me for a blood test for a few things and I go back in about ten days for the result.

My muscles still ache though but are slightly better but I sometimes worry if it is arthritis setting in as it is mainly round my joints, especially round my knees.

thanks for sharin your experiences

I am a bit worried now ...... I like a glass of wine or two :roll:

and the muscle aches sound rather bad organgrinder ....:(

I think I will have a word with the gp .... might be that the benfits wont outweigh the risks

thanks anyway

Been taking them for a few years myself and had no adverse side affects. My cholesterol levels came down quite considerably and have yearly fasting blood tests to keep an eye on it. I tell myself this....my mother had heart disease but didn't take statins......she died when she was 60.....

Some 30 years later, I have heart disease, take statins and I am 68........

I take simvastatin for high cholesterol which is an inherited thing in my case and was as high as 10 when I was first tested. I started on 20mg then went to 40mg to knock it down a bit more and I had a blood level of 4 when last tested.

I haven't had and noticeable side effects and I get a yearly blood test which also measures liver function. Mine is fine and I drink alcohol.

You might want to suggest to your doctor that you start on 20mg a day to see how you get on with the drug and also to see if that's enough to bring your cholesterol down to reasonable levels. Your cholesterol isn't hugely over what is considered the safe limit for women which is 5.6

A dose of 20mg a day will probably be enough to reduce your cholesterol to something below this.

They wanted to put me onto them to lower my cholesterol when I was diagnosed as diabetic, but after reading about the possible side-effects on line I decided I didn't fancy it and refused them. The muscle wasting and pain, which is apparently irreversible, was my main worry about them.

I took Simvastatin -they did a good job of lowering my cholersterol but, after around 6 months, I started having terrible muscular pains which got worse with time.

I ended up unable to sit for more than 5 minutes and hardly able to walk at all.

Took a long time before I realised (and only realised then because I saw a program on TV about it) that the Simvastatin was the cause and my doctor changed these to Pravastatin but the symptoms continued so I stopped taking statins altogether - decided I would sooner take my chances on a heart attack and even die rather than suffer like that.

Took a very long time before my problems subsided after I stopped taking them and many believe that some of the damage which has been done is irreversible.

The fact that you are obviously aware of the possibilities, gives you an advantage and enables you to monitor your health closely for unexplained symptoms - make proper notes of anything which is unusual and never happened before.

The majority of patients take them without any problems but, for those like me, the damage is unbelievable so take great care and good luck with your treatment.

My story is exactly the same as yours.Since I have stopped taking them I am slowly getting better.But I still get the muscle pains first thing and after I have been sat down for a while.I was taking 8 co-codomol tablets for the pain and they did no good at all,prescribed by the doctor.I do not take any tablets now.

That's me as well. So I stopped taking them of my own accord about six weeks ago, then I told my doctor what I had done and he sent me for a blood test for a few things and I go back in about ten days for the result.

My muscles still ache though but are slightly better but I sometimes worry if it is arthritis setting in as it is mainly round my joints, especially round my knees.

The doctors told me it was arthritis,for years, until I asked for an x-ray and they found there was no arthritis present.That is when I put 2 and 2 together.

The doctors told me it was arthritis,for years, until I asked for an x-ray and they found there was no arthritis present.That is when I put 2 and 2 together.

You say you get muscle pain after you have been sitting down and that is what is happening to me as well.

It sounds as though we are both in the same boat and I was ignoring it for about a year thinking it was my job. Oh dear. :help:

How are you now?

My slightly high cholesterol is apparently inherited also and I've been taking Simvastatin for almost four years now . No side effects that have worried me so far ....but I will admit to still missing my breakfast grapefruit ...ohhhh ...I can just taste it now :sad:

Archived