Do you take Simvastatin

You say you get muscle pain after you have been sitting down and that is what is happening to me as well.

It sounds as though we are both in the same boat and I was ignoring it for about a year thinking it was my job. Oh dear. :help:

How are you now?

It is a little easier now and it seems to be getting easier by the day but there are still times when it flares up and I curse the doctors for putting me on them.I read where caffeine is bad for this pain so I now drink de-caff or not at all.Water and juice are my main drinks now.

It is a little easier now and it seems to be getting easier by the day but there are still times when it flares up and I curse the doctors for putting me on them.I read where caffeine is bad for this pain so I now drink de-caff or not at all.Water and juice are my main drinks now.

I drink a lot of coffee and almost as much tea. It looks as though I might have to cut them out but I do enjoy a hot drink. And I don't think I needed to be on them in the first place, I felt it was a precaution as my sugar levels are high but not high enough to need any medication. So it looks to me as though they were doing their best for me but you and I must fall into that small group that can be affected?

I drink a lot of coffee and almost as much tea. It looks as though I might have to cut them out but I do enjoy a hot drink. And I don't think I needed to be on them in the first place, I felt it was a precaution as my sugar levels are high but not high enough to need any medication. So it looks to me as though they were doing their best for me but you and I must fall into that small group that can be affected?

The doctor started me on them because all my brothers have had strokes,so,I was put on them as a precaution.

I took Simvastatin -they did a good job of lowering my cholersterol but, after around 6 months, I started having terrible muscular pains which got worse with time.

I ended up unable to sit for more than 5 minutes and hardly able to walk at all.

Took a long time before I realised (and only realised then because I saw a program on TV about it) that the Simvastatin was the cause and my doctor changed these to Pravastatin but the symptoms continued so I stopped taking statins altogether - decided I would sooner take my chances on a heart attack and even die rather than suffer like that.

Took a very long time before my problems subsided after I stopped taking them and many believe that some of the damage which has been done is irreversible.

----------------------------------------------------------

I should have mentioned that, besides the Muscular pain, I also became very weak and got to a point where, for at least a year, I couldn't pick up or hold a cup of tea in one hand - needed two hands to pick up such a small and light object.

This is after spending most of my life keeping fit and working out with weights so you can imagine what a reversal in health and fitness this was.

Although that has since cleared up, it has become apparent that I will never regain my former fitness and strength.

I took Simvastatin -they did a good job of lowering my cholersterol but, after around 6 months, I started having terrible muscular pains which got worse with time.

I ended up unable to sit for more than 5 minutes and hardly able to walk at all.

Took a long time before I realised (and only realised then because I saw a program on TV about it) that the Simvastatin was the cause and my doctor changed these to Pravastatin but the symptoms continued so I stopped taking statins altogether - decided I would sooner take my chances on a heart attack and even die rather than suffer like that.

Took a very long time before my problems subsided after I stopped taking them and many believe that some of the damage which has been done is irreversible.

----------------------------------------------------------

I should have mentioned that, besides the Muscular pain, I also became very weak and got to a point where, for at least a year, I couldn't pick up or hold a cup of tea in one hand - needed two hands to pick up such a small and light object.

This is after spending most of my life keeping fit and working out with weights so you can imagine what a reversal in health and fitness this was.

Although that has since cleared up, it has become apparent that I will never regain my former fitness and strength.

That describes me as well. It takes an effort to pick up a cup of tea but I'm not as bad as you describe and like you I have always been very fit with cycling and running, I had weights in the garage, still got them, and used to lift wide screen TV's carry them for what seemed miles along such places as the landings on Kelvin Flats, and later on lifted washing machines without trouble.

I too have been on statins for years for cholesterol, and, like others, has symptoms that I never associated with the drug. Muscle ache, tiredness, poor vision etc. After hearing the stories and looking up the side effects I took myself off them. Doctor will probably go ape when I see him next week. Still he may want to explain why my liver function test results are haywire at the same time!

I too have been on statins for years for cholesterol, and, like others, has symptoms that I never associated with the drug. Muscle ache, tiredness, poor vision etc. After hearing the stories and looking up the side effects I took myself off them. Doctor will probably go ape when I see him next week. Still he may want to explain why my liver function test results are haywire at the same time!

It isn't good is it, perhaps you might tell us what the doctor says so we all know?

2007 and 2008 I ran the sheffield half marathons.I think I would have a job on walking them now.

Like me but I was doing them something like 20 years ago when we started on Catch Bar Lane? and finished in Hilsborough Park. :thumbsup:

They are only a few yards away which is strange because it felt like 13.1 miles to me. :D Always finished around the 1 hour 35/40 minute mark.

Archived