Do you take Simvastatin

both my parents died young of heart disease so i started taking 75mg soluble aspirin. i also smoked 10 cigs a day, when i told my gp he tested my cholestrol which was 8.3 i was put on 80mg simvastatin, been on them since

the count is now half but i'm still on 80mg and was told it cant be lowered. stopped smoking 3 years ago. i was told to stop taking the sol aspirin. i never heard about the stiffness which i have but put down to cronic back pain and not being very mobile.

both my parents died young of heart disease so i started taking 75mg soluble aspirin. i also smoked 10 cigs a day, when i told my gp he tested my cholestrol which was 8.3 i was put on 80mg simvastatin, been on them since

the count is now half but i'm still on 80mg and was told it cant be lowered. stopped smoking 3 years ago. i was told to stop taking the sol aspirin. i never heard about the stiffness which i have but put down to cronic back pain and not being very mobile.

So are you having muscle pain and stiffness as well?

thanks for sharin your experiences

I am a bit worried now ...... I like a glass of wine or two :roll:

and the muscle aches sound rather bad organgrinder ....:(

I think I will have a word with the gp .... might be that the benfits wont outweigh the risks

thanks anyway

The GP will probably give you better advice than you will get on a forum.

Simvastatin can affect your liver - but it (alone) doesn't preclude you from drinking moderately.

If you experience muscle pain, it might be a good idea to go and see your GP and ask him to test your blood for dead muscle cells.

I took simvastatin for some years with no adverse efects. - My 6-monthly blood checks (liver and kidney function as well a HbA1C) were (reasonably) normal and simvastatin reduced both cholesterol and triglyceride levels.

Then I started getting muscle pains, so I went to the doctor and asked for a blood test. It appeared that the simvastatin was causing Rhabdomyolysis (It's a known - but uncommon - side effect) and he took me off it immediately. The muscle pain stopped and the cholesterol levels started to rise.

Do NOT eat grapefruit/drink grapefruit juice while you are taking statins.

So I have to control cholesterol and triglycerides by diet (and Niaspan - which has side-effects of tis own.:( )

The GP will probably give you better advice than you will get on a forum.

Simvastatin can affect your liver - but it (alone) doesn't preclude you from drinking moderately.

If you experience muscle pain, it might be a good idea to go and see your GP and ask him to test your blood for dead muscle cells.

I took simvastatin for some years with no adverse efects. - My 6-monthly blood checks (liver and kidney function as well a HbA1C) were (reasonably) normal and simvastatin reduced both cholesterol and triglyceride levels.

Then I started getting muscle pains, so I went to the doctor and asked for a blood test. It appeared that the simvastatin was causing Rhabdomyolysis (It's a known - but uncommon - side effect) and he took me off it immediately. The muscle pain stopped and the cholesterol levels started to rise.

Do NOT eat grapefruit/drink grapefruit juice while you are taking statins.

So I have to control cholesterol and triglycerides by diet (and Niaspan - which has side-effects of tis own.:( )

During the last three years I have kidneys stones and still have 3 in my kidneys.You have got me wondering about the Rhabdomyolysis now as to whether the statins caused them.

Archived