Talking of funerals: The cheapest you could do one for?

Saffy

I'm a real Scrooge and so have decided to donate my body to medical science and so there will be no funeral costs at all, fairly easy to do.

I was told they weren't accepting bodies for medical science any more, or I'd have offered mine when I've done with it!

If you don't use a funeral director, where do you keep the body while arrangements are made.

The hospitals have mortuaries/ chapels of rest where the departed's remains can be looked after until the funeral.

When I was younger, it was more common-than-not, that the dear-departed were laid out in a bed or coffin in their (or their next-of-kin's) parlour/ front room, and their loved-ones could pay their respects, and say their goodbyes.

My very elderly former next-door neighbour passed away in late 1989, only 22 years ago, and he was in an open coffin, in his best bib-and-tucker, in the living room, when I went to the funeral. I was able to say a goodbye to him, and give my condolences to his wife and children, which was (IMO) a nice way to say "Ta-ra, old-feller!".

Archived