People begging for free items

yesterday the rag and bone man came on my road I was truelly pleased to see him, it meant I was able to get rid of a few things and I look at it as recycling rather than begging.

He took the things away I didn't want yes he probably made money but who cares, he did me a favour.

Surely people asking for things for their kids is the same principal, recycling rather than throwing away.

In my opinion theres no shame in it, we all do what we need to in order to ensure our families are ok.

yesterday the rag and bone man came on my road I was truelly pleased to see him, it meant I was able to get rid of a few things and I look at it as recycling rather than begging.

He took the things away I didn't want yes he probably made money but who cares, he did me a favour.

Surely people asking for things for their kids is the same principal, recycling rather than throwing away.

In my opinion theres no shame in it, we all do what we need to in order to ensure our families are ok.

But some are so mean spirited that they think Giving and receiving devalues what they have to sell, they actually see it as competition.

Depends what begging means?

Is posting on a forum or website begging?

I love freegle and free cycle as everything is free! I don't feel I'm begging when I post a wanted on there!

Sometimes asking for items that I just can't buy from shops and need!

If someone knocked on my door and said can I have x for free then that's different!

Not at all, looks like you failed to read my other post.

It's begging, not giving I have a problem with.

Why do you have a problem with it? What is it about it that moves your world so?

As madusa says..you're at liberty to ignore.

Oh I don't just mean on the forum, I mean in general.

I often give items I don't need anymore away, but begging seems an odd way to go about things.

Edit: I've come across more people who have been robbed/not got enough money for a bus or train fare/have a sick relative they have to get to in the last few months than in the rest of my life, to the extent of people actually knocking on the door to beg.

I work hard for everything I have an it disgusts me that these people can't be bothered to make their own money so they take advantage of others.

I have been unemployed 3 times since moving to Sheffield, there is just not a lot of work around, and if there is work, there are more short term contracts than full time jobs.

I have always found a way to scrape by with temp contracts and the like, but mostly, by switching to roll ups, cutting back the booze, eating minimilist food and having no social life.

I don't think that in a society that gives people housing and money, that there is any excuse for begging.

Athough I can appreciate the difference between beging ad taking advantage of unwanted goods. if someone has something they no longer need and want to give it away, I wouldn't say no, if I needed it.

I have to agree with the OP,

Beg -

1. To ask for as charity

Charity -

1. Provision of help or relief to the poor.

If people are asking for free clothes for their kids I presume they're poor. Which means the OP is right by definition.

A lot of the time though it's not even clothes, I've seen many like "Hey I need a laptop for free for my kid to do his homework on please thanks". Bit ridiculous.

I mean in my personal opinion, if somebody has advertised something for free then fine but, actually asking people for their stuff for free...? Bit questionable.

Archived