The struggle between Liberty and Authority

Smoking is ridiculously profitable for the government, and heavily expensive and deadly to the smoker.

Same with drinking.

Both are expensive. Only a non smoker/drinker would say otherwise.

If a non smoker paid the taxes a smoker does the government deficit would be a surplus.

Same with drinking.

By being healthy your a drain on the state.

ahh, but dont forget my one weakness is chocolate so I do pay VAT:)

No. I would rather that people took personal responsibilty I have already stressed so many times. If they dont then there has to be a way to modify what is available to them.

Oh, you're suggesting the US system of health "care" ?

Would you (as a responsible person) be happy to have to pay insurance against breaking your leg playing football ?

Wouldn't that just remove a lot of peoples ability to do things ?

I am firm believer in civil liberties and that the state has limited influence and control over an individuals behaviour and the way they live their lives.

I believe that everyone should take personal responsibility for themselves and their families and that the state need only intervene when either the individual is not capable of looking after themselves or the individual is causing harm or suffering to another persons lives or preventing them from living their lives in the way that we choose.

In my opinion the state has interfered too much in the way that we live our lives. I am pleased to see that we have managed to eradicate ID cards, hopefully for good.

Civil liberties and the freedom for one to live their life in the way that they want to is very important to me.

The harm principle says that society or the state doesn't have a right to intervene if the individual is not affecting others.People should have the right to have a say in government’s decisions. Social liberty is “the nature and limits of the power which can be legitimately exercised by society over the individual”.

So if more of us believed in Liberty rather than state dependance would we be in a better frame of mind to cope with the issues that we currently face. After all Government cant have all the answers.

What do you think?

I think that the only way to protect freedom and rights is to have a written constitution firmly establishing inalienable rights and free from interference or changes by politicans and governments.

In a democracy it's the peoples right to be able to tell the government what it can and what it cannot do

Oh, you're suggesting the US system of health "care" ?

Would you (as a responsible person) be happy to have to pay insurance against breaking your leg playing football ?

Wouldn't that just remove a lot of peoples ability to do things ?

The difference is between an accident and self inflicted harm.

I think that the only way to protect freedom and rights is to have a written constitution firmly establishing inalienable rights and free from interference or changes by politicans and governments.

But what country has such a system ?

Archived