Problem with Grundfos 15-50 selectric heating pump

My heating pump has stopped working. I've looked on the internet, and found some information, but its still not solved.

I've removed the big silver plug. From what I've seen from internet searches there should only be a few drops of water at most. In my case the water keeps coming. Not a great deal but I am unable to clear it out enough to see the internal screw head properly. (The pump is mounted with the pipe horizontal and the big plug at the top). I have turned the screw a few times, but no luck.

How much water should I expect to come out when I remove the plug? Does the amount of water I have (probably a cupfull over a 1/2 hour period) mean that the pump is beyond help and should be changed as a matter of course?

Does anyone have a link to any repair manuals? I've not managed to find a useful one yet, but some of the links are broken.

Is there a valve on either side of the pump?

Removing the plug will result in a continuous drip. Are you trying to fathom out if the pump is actually running?

I have closed the valves on either side (but I presume they are still passing). When I remove the plug there is a small but continuous flow - hence I think the valves are passing.

The pump is not working. I have tried turning it to free it up but it still doesn't work.

How much water should come out when I remove the plug? What I was trying to find out was whether the amount coming out is so excessive to mean that any internal seals (if there are any) have failed. I cannot even find an exploded view on the internet, to give me some idea of what to expect. The only comment I have found says something like "a few drops of water". I wondered if this meant "only a few drops" even when the valves are open and if there was any more then the pump was broken, as surely if the valves were closed then that's all you would expect anyway, regardless of pump construction or condition.

I have closed the valves on either side (but I presume they are still passing). When I remove the plug there is a small but continuous flow - hence I think the valves are passing.

The pump is not working. I have tried turning it to free it up but it still doesn't work.

How much water should come out when I remove the plug? What I was trying to find out was whether the amount coming out is so excessive to mean that any internal seals (if there are any) have failed. I cannot even find an exploded view on the internet, to give me some idea of what to expect. The only comment I have found says something like "a few drops of water". I wondered if this meant "only a few drops" even when the valves are open and if there was any more then the pump was broken, as surely if the valves were closed then that's all you would expect anyway, regardless of pump construction or condition.

I'm still not sure as to what you are trying to achieve here. You've assessed the the pump is not working so why not just change the pump? Or are you trying to asses if the pump can be repaired? If so I wouldn't bother, I have one you can have for £20.

Archived