Should the UK be GMT or CET

WeX

Its the LIGHTER LATER campaign:

http://www.lighterlater.org/

Nothing to do with the Government, but they do seem to be backing it. They list the benefits as:

Moving Britain’s clocks forward in this way has the potential to:

1 Cut at least 447,000 tonnes of CO2 pollution – equivalent to more than 50,000 cars driving all the way around the world – each year [1]

2 Save 100 lives each year and prevent hundreds of serious injuries by making the roads safer [2]

3 Lower our electricity bills by maximising the available daylight and reducing peak power demand [3]

4 Create 60,000–80,000 new jobs in leisure and tourism, bringing an extra £2.5–3.5 billion into the economy each year [4]

5 Reduce crime and the fear of crime [5]

6 Help make people healthier and tackle obesity by giving people more time to exercise and play sport outside in the evening [6]

7 Save the NHS around £138 million a year through reducing road casualties [7]

8 Improve quality of life for older people [8]

9 Make the nation happier – including reducing the effects of Seasonal Affective Disorder [9]

10 Demonstrate that dealing with climate change can be good for the economy, good for people and good for society as a whole

according to the papers today the coalition government want to put the clocks forward 2 hours to boost tourism,personally i think its a bad idea due to kids going to school on darker mornings,whats your thoughts on this.

Well they come home in the dark in the winter now so cant see what the difference is.

according to the papers today the coalition government want to put the clocks forward 2 hours to boost tourism,personally i think its a bad idea due to kids going to school on darker mornings,whats your thoughts on this.

My thoughts are that you've not really considered the issue.

If kids are going to school on darker mornings, that means they're coming home in later evenings.

In fact the last time a similar experiment was tried (late 60's) the number of road fatalities fell... More killed in the morning, true, but even more not killed in the evening.

Personally I'd rather the evenings were lighter for a bit longer, in the depth of winter we still have it come light at 0730, but it's dark again by 1600.

Personally cant see how it will reduce crime & fear of crime - maybe a decade ago or two when criminals only seemed to come out at night, these days most crimes are as likely to be commited in the daylight as night, and not sure how its going to create more jobs in tourism.

Sounds good in theory I guess, but i am suspicious as to if its aimed more to get people to work longer hours - paying more tax

Archived