Should the UK be GMT or CET

WeX

Personally cant see how it will reduce crime & fear of crime - maybe a decade ago or two when criminals only seemed to come out at night, these days most crimes are as likely to be commited in the daylight as night, and not sure how its going to create more jobs in tourism.

Sounds good in theory I guess, but i am suspicious as to if its aimed more to get people to work longer hours - paying more tax

How will it get people to work longer?

I really can't see a link between changing what time our clocks say and somehow getting people to work longer... Do people work longer in the summer? Will a change to a clock alter your contract to say you have to work 9 hours a day.

It's baseless paranoia...

I am all for it, imagine it being light until 10.30/11pm We really dont need the light in the mornings, apart from a small majority of workers and maybe even school kids, but why should they suddenly get run over and killed if it is dark, don't they go out in the dark now? Bring it on I say.

How will it get people to work longer?

Well for instance how many places will be able to stay open longer? and rather then employ an extra member of staff to cover these hours, a company would possibly ask its current staff to work an extra couple of hours a week - how many people would turn down a chance of more money?

I didnt say in my post that people would be forced to work longer hours

Because if GMT was changed, it would change all time zone calculations in the world, along with every existing time zone map. Whereas if we changed to CET, no calculations would have to be changed.

But time zones are defined by when the sun is at the highest point in the sky.

Personally I'd rather the evenings were lighter for a bit longer, in the depth of winter we still have it come light at 0730, but it's dark again by 1600

Sunrise in Sheffield is up to 8:22 GMT in the "depth of winter" and therefore would be at 9:22 under a new system of GMT+1.

The school were I went to during the previous go was going to change the school day to start at 9:15 this was going to have a big effect on business, industry, transport and commerce in the area. By the time everybody had had their say it was decided that everything in the area would start and finish an hour later- then the school children went on strike because they would miss "children's hour" on TV- then the trial run ended.

I think we should decimalize the calendar by getting rid January and February.

The consequences would be.........................

What a lot of negativity, but that's typical on this forum.

I think it's a great idea and it looks like the current bill might actually get passed. This has been experimented with before in the early seventies I think and it was great to have tose long summer evenings. It gets light far too early in summer anyway.

What I don't understand is the opposition from farmers. Surely they are free to work the hours they want and there will still be the same number of hours of daylight.

And then there's opposition from the Scots because it won't get light there until 10am in the depths of winter. Well, they have their own parliament now, they can make their own laws about summertime.

I really can't see a link between changing what time our clocks say and somehow getting people to work longer... Do people work longer in the summer? Will a change to a clock alter your contract to say you have to work 9 hours a day.

It's baseless paranoia...

My OH used to work on building sites, some of them stay open as long as it is light. Sometimes he didn't finish until 9-10pm in the summer.

Archived