Should the UK be GMT or CET

WeX

What a lot of negativity, but that's typical on this forum.

I think it's a great idea and it looks like the current bill might actually get passed. This has been experimented with before in the early seventies I think and it was great to have tose long summer evenings. It gets light far too early in summer anyway.

What I don't understand is the opposition from farmers. Surely they are free to work the hours they want and there will still be the same number of hours of daylight.

And then there's opposition from the Scots because it won't get light there until 10am in the depths of winter. Well, they have their own parliament now, they can make their own laws about summertime.

Didnt say i was against it, would be great to come home in the daylight more often, I just mentioned that i couldnt understand how it would benefit some of the key points that it described.

Well for instance how many places will be able to stay open longer? and rather then employ an extra member of staff to cover these hours, a company would possibly ask its current staff to work an extra couple of hours a week - how many people would turn down a chance of more money?

I didnt say in my post that people would be forced to work longer hours

Why should the fact that it'll get dark later cause a business to stay open longer?

There isn't going to be any extra daylight you know, the proposal will just move the times that there will be daylight later on during the day. So if a job is dependant on daylight, all that'll happen is that the job will start later and then finish later.

My OH used to work on building sites, some of them stay open as long as it is light. Sometimes he didn't finish until 9-10pm in the summer.

So that's your OH being taken for a ride by an employer, unless of course he's agreed to the work and is being paid for it...

It hardly makes the proposed changes into some sort of dastardly plan to force your OH to work longer though.

Personally I'd rather the evenings were lighter for a bit longer, in the depth of winter we still have it come light at 0730, but it's dark again by 1600

Sunrise in Sheffield is up to 8:22 GMT in the "depth of winter" and therefore would be at 9:22 under a new system of GMT+1.

The school were I went to during the previous go was going to change the school day to start at 9:15 this was going to have a big effect on business, industry, transport and commerce in the area. By the time everybody had had their say it was decided that everything in the area would start and finish an hour later- then the school children went on strike because they would miss "children's hour" on TV- then the trial run ended.

I think we should decimalize the calendar by getting rid January and February.

The consequences would be.........................

0806 according to this

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=136&month=1&year=2011&obj=sun&afl=-11&day=1

So it would become 0906

And sunset is 1602 and would move to 1702.

What a lot of negativity, but that's typical on this forum.

I think it's a great idea and it looks like the current bill might actually get passed. This has been experimented with before in the early seventies I think and it was great to have tose long summer evenings. It gets light far too early in summer anyway.

What I don't understand is the opposition from farmers. Surely they are free to work the hours they want and there will still be the same number of hours of daylight.

And then there's opposition from the Scots because it won't get light there until 10am in the depths of winter. Well, they have their own parliament now, they can make their own laws about summertime.

I never got the argument about farmers either, surely it's sunrise that dictates when they can start work, not the time displayed on their bedside clock...

0806 according to this

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=136&month=1&year=2011&obj=sun&afl=-11&day=1

So it would become 0906

And sunset is 1602 and would move to 1702.

You have made a mistake.

Sunrise in Sheffield on December 29th to 31st is 08:22

Sunset in Sheffield on December 10 to 18th at 15:47

The shortest day is 22 December from 08:20 to 15:49 which is 7h 29m 25s

These are extremes for this year.

You are correct- if you live in London but this is the Sheffield Forum so I have entered Sheffield in the 'Search for City' in the same source

You have made a mistake.

Sunrise in Sheffield on December 29th to 31st is 08:22

Sunset in Sheffield on December 10 to 18th at 15:47

The shortest day is 22 December from 08:20 to 15:49 which is 7h 29m 25s

These are extremes for this year.

You are correct- if you live in London but this is the Sheffield Forum so I have entered Sheffield in the 'Search for City' in the same source

I sincerely hope this proposal is not passed, it would be HORRIBLE if we didn't have sunrise until 9:22 - I know that is the most extreme example, but there would still be several weeks where we would all be going to work in the dark and coming home in the dark, we would only see daylight on days off - how depressing!

I sincerely hope this proposal is not passed, it would be HORRIBLE if we didn't have sunrise until 9:22 - I know that is the most extreme example, but there would still be several weeks where we would all be going to work in the dark and coming home in the dark, we would only see daylight on days off - how depressing!

But this is what happens to a lot of people now, my son goes to work at 7am and comes home at 5pm so he goes to work in the dark and comes home in the dark in the winter, surely you get out in the middle of the day, and don't work in a basement where there is no natural light.

Archived