Should the UK be GMT or CET

WeX

Book makers may well be open longer, but I'd hazard a guess that they simply hire more staff.

The vast majority of people have contracts for a fixed number of hours/week, the rest are probably paid hourly, so either way the implication that it's some sort of dastardly government plot to get more work out of people is clearly nonsense.

Edit - of course, altering what my clock says won't actually change how many hours of daylight there are in the summer, so I still can't see how it will cause anyone, even a clerk in a betting shop, to work longer. If we were talking about altering the rotation of the earth to make the day 25 hours long, then maybe I could see the point, but clocks do not determine how much daylight we have.

Well, they don't start racing at 4am, so there would be more time for racing. Other sports & entertainment would get a similar boost in trade, that's all part of the argument for it.

Those businesses would create more jobs, so some of the people working in those jobs may not be forced to work extra hours, but they'd all be working more anti-social hours.

Nobody would be forced to work though, and since we have a huge unemployment problem I'd suggest that making extra jobs available, even if they aren't 'perfect' would be a good thing, for the economy, the people who currently can't find work, for the country!

No, it's not difficult. It also doesn't work. We found that out during the last three-year spell we were on double summer time.

kids go home from school in daylight now, they finish around 3pm, it's never dark at that time.

they set off in the mornings in the dark, that will get worse if we change the time zone.

i really don't see how it could save lives.

Archived