Olympic games tickets

The budget was set at 2.7 billion pounds. The Games are expected to come in slightly under budget at 9.1 billion pounds.

No, I don't know how that makes sense either. Everybody seems to pretend that the expected cost of 9.3 billion pounds is, in fact, the budget that was set - which is clearly a lie.

2.7b is the cost of staging the games. The 9.3b figure is the total cost of all infrastructure (new overground lines and extensions etc). The small figure is the cost of the Olympics the larger figure is the cost of the Olympic legacy.

2.7b is the cost of staging the games. The 9.3b figure is the total cost of all infrastructure (new overground lines and extensions etc). The small figure is the cost of the Olympics the larger figure is the cost of the Olympic legacy.

Is that the line they're officially selling now? I can't see anybody swallowing it, since it was made abundantly clear when the bid was first mooted that the total cost to the country, everything included, would be less than three billion.

Is that the line they're officially selling now? I can't see anybody swallowing it, since it was made abundantly clear when the bid was first mooted that the total cost to the country, everything included, would be less than three billion.

I'm assuming they are saying the net cost, when you take into account ticket sales, sponsorship, boost to the economy of all the visitors, will be £3b.

Still a hell of a lot of money though.

How much of that money though is money for projects which may or may not have gone ahead anyway - for example, the new DLR line to Stratford station - it's being included in lists of projects for the Olympics, but it was already present on plans for future upgrades to the system before the games were announced.

That said, I'm pretty sure that anyone who's already decided it's a complete waste of money for a few days of running jumping and swimming are unlikely to have their opinion changed. I would also guess that those same people are very unlikely to ever experience the atmosphere around an Olympic Games. I have, and despite my time in Athens being the hardest month of work I've ever done, I'm hoping London will be my second games. Even if I'm not working, I'm going to go down just to feel some of that atmosphere.

I agree with headingnorth re the cost,once again the country pays over the odds for labour wanting to shine. when the visitors start coming who is going to check how many leave? & the work should have been spread, starting around Birmingham. I wonder if they will be using the other white elephant the Dome

Archived