Driving test -any advice

hello everyone again

just a quick question has anyone recently took a test with all the new things we have to do? just want to know what its like so many people say how easy it is but I dont know if they just saying that and I know people on here will tell me truth

I took the new test twice at Rotherham test centre in October and November and passed second time.

I didn’t take the previous test so I have nothing to compare it with but I thought the new test was a lot easier than I expected.

You have to do only one manoeuvre (I did a reverse bay park at the end of the first test and a three point turn on the second test).

The first part of the test was driving under instruction, then came the independent driving which was a verbal instruction (some people are shown a diagram). I know Rotherham quite well, so when I was instructed to “follow the A-something-or-other towards Sheffield” I had a general idea of where I was heading, just had to make sure I was in the correct lane at the roundabout etc. I actually found the driving under instruction part harder!

On my first test I failed miserably, largely because I was sooo nervous! On my second test I passed with four minors.

My advice is if at any point you do something stupid and you think you’ve failed, take a deep breath, keep calm and carry on to the best of your ability. You might not have done anything that serious but you may screw it all up if you panic. I do think examiners allow for nerves if you can prove that you are a safe driver.

I did a hill start on a very steep hill, near a school and tried to set off in neutral. Naturally the car rolled back… a lot! I did a little freak out in my head but braked and secured the car with the handbrake, did my checks and set off again in first gear. I was convinced I’d failed but I carried on calmly. When I got back to the test centre and the examiner told me I’d passed I couldn’t believe it!!!

So keep calm, stay safe and you’ll e fine. If I can do it (at 25) anyone can!

Don't drink any caffine before your test as it aggitates you. I also used Rescue Remedy spray for nerves. I don't think it works for everyone but worth a try.

I took the new test twice at Rotherham test centre in October and November and passed second time.

I didn’t take the previous test so I have nothing to compare it with but I thought the new test was a lot easier than I expected.

You have to do only one manoeuvre (I did a reverse bay park at the end of the first test and a three point turn on the second test).

The first part of the test was driving under instruction, then came the independent driving which was a verbal instruction (some people are shown a diagram). I know Rotherham quite well, so when I was instructed to “follow the A-something-or-other towards Sheffield” I had a general idea of where I was heading, just had to make sure I was in the correct lane at the roundabout etc. I actually found the driving under instruction part harder!

On my first test I failed miserably, largely because I was sooo nervous! On my second test I passed with four minors.

My advice is if at any point you do something stupid and you think you’ve failed, take a deep breath, keep calm and carry on to the best of your ability. You might not have done anything that serious but you may screw it all up if you panic. I do think examiners allow for nerves if you can prove that you are a safe driver.

I did a hill start on a very steep hill, near a school and tried to set off in neutral. Naturally the car rolled back… a lot! I did a little freak out in my head but braked and secured the car with the handbrake, did my checks and set off again in first gear. I was convinced I’d failed but I carried on calmly. When I got back to the test centre and the examiner told me I’d passed I couldn’t believe it!!!

So keep calm, stay safe and you’ll e fine. If I can do it (at 25) anyone can!

Don't drink any caffine before your test as it aggitates you. I also used Rescue Remedy spray for nerves. I don't think it works for everyone but worth a try.

Thankyou! that is a real help

I know somebody who took the test at Middlewood and after passing Langsett Avenue (1st right from the test centre) they was told to turn next right which I think is Harrison or Harris Rd. Don't get confused and turn right into the playing field just before it! On this road they had to stop and do a hill start. After getting back onto Middlewood Road you may be told to follow signs for Barnsley. That's will be left at Netto, right hand lane, straight on through the lights, down to Penistone Rd and do a left onto Penistone rd. You may then go onto and up Halifax road. After Lidl supermarket you may be told to go next right, get your timing and speed right here for switching over to the right hand lane. You will be turning right onto Chaucer Rd where the new Adsa is being built on the old Chaucer sports field. Watch for the give way it is set back and you need to look for cars coming from your right and left as well as vehicles coming down the dual carriageway. From here you will probably go onto Parson Cross estate and then back again.

There are other routes and it will depend on the time of your test. Early morning tests usually go to Oughtibridge and then either Worral or Grenoside. If you do go onto Halifax Rd just familiarise yourself with the Chaucer Road/Halifax Rd junction in both directions.

I dont know of anybody doing the under the bonnet checks but they may ask you how you would check to see if your lights/indicators are working. Ask your instructor about this.

Remember do your your best but if you fail it is not the end of the world, you can take it again and the second time will be easier. It is not as though you have only one chance of taking your test.

I know somebody who took the test at Middlewood and after passing Langsett Avenue (1st right from the test centre) they was told to turn next right which I think is Harrison or Harris Rd. Don't get confused and turn right into the playing field just before it! On this road they had to stop and do a hill start. After getting back onto Middlewood Road you may be told to follow signs for Barnsley. That's will be left at Netto, right hand lane, straight on through the lights, down to Penistone Rd and do a left onto Penistone rd. You may then go onto and up Halifax road. After Lidl supermarket you may be told to go next right, get your timing and speed right here for switching over to the right hand lane. You will be turning right onto Chaucer Rd where the new Adsa is being built on the old Chaucer sports field. Watch for the give way it is set back and you need to look for cars coming from your right and left as well as vehicles coming down the dual carriageway. From here you will probably go onto Parson Cross estate and then back again.

There are other routes and it will depend on the time of your test. Early morning tests usually go to Oughtibridge and then either Worral or Grenoside. If you do go onto Halifax Rd just familiarise yourself with the Chaucer Road/Halifax Rd junction in both directions.

I dont know of anybody doing the under the bonnet checks but they may ask you how you would check to see if your lights/indicators are working. Ask your instructor about this.

Remember do your your best but if you fail it is not the end of the world, you can take it again and the second time will be easier. It is not as though you have only one chance of taking your test.

Thankyou for this I will bear it in mind, I also have a car which my dad takes me out in insured! off course so will see if he can do these routes with me and again thankyou means a lot my driving instructor does these routes a lot so hopefully will get one off those- my test at 11:20 something like that

I took my test last month, passed first time with one minor. The new test was quite straight forward, the independent driving was pretty easy, make sure you ask the examiner if you have any questions.

If you think you have made a mistake or done something wrong, keep focused and don't give up, it may not be as bad as you think and if you keep driving well then you will show the examiner that you can cope with the pressure of driving.

Make sure you learn all the car check stuff, it'll make you feel more confident if you know the answers and remember that it isn't the end of the world if you don't pass. Good luck!

I took my test last month, passed first time with one minor. The new test was quite straight forward, the independent driving was pretty easy, make sure you ask the examiner if you have any questions.

If you think you have made a mistake or done something wrong, keep focused and don't give up, it may not be as bad as you think and if you keep driving well then you will show the examiner that you can cope with the pressure of driving.

Make sure you learn all the car check stuff, it'll make you feel more confident if you know the answers and remember that it isn't the end of the world if you don't pass. Good luck!

thankyou! i'm trying to stay as calm as I can- it dont help when people telling me that I wont pass first time cause the drriving examiner can also pass some many and im at end off month what do you think? is this true?

Archived