Moving up to Sheffield

loveelf

Hi, I am new to posting in this forum - but I have been reading posts on here for four months as research.

I currently live south, but after visiting my sister who moved to hillsborough last year, have totally fallen for Sheffield. You are all so lucky to live in a city that has everything!!

I have been in a rut for over a year and me and my small family of hubbie and 13 year old son feel that we could make a new start.

However it is all a bit scary - I guess I am looking for a little reassurance!

I would be moving away from my mum and job, and my life now, however boring is in a comfortable rut!

My husbands job would be unaffected but I worry that my son at 13 would not settle in at a new school as the new kid!

Also I work in adult education as a tutor - is this kind of work easy to find at least part time?

At the moment we rent a house that is quiet but in the dullest area I have ever lived in. I know moving to a big city would be noisy but in a way I am really looking forward to shaking my life up.

I have read about areas that may be a bit dodgy - my question is should I rent for six months before I commit my savings into a home? where are the good senior schools catchments. I can afford about £550 pcm rent...

Or should I just take the plunge and buy? We only need a small place but want to live in an area with community spirit! Trouble is we could only afford a small mortgage - definitely no more than £90000. So it is a big ask. At the moment property here is very expensive and it has taken four years to save up a modest deposit with having to pay rent too. Also I suppose I am a bit scared that I will not fit in up north!

How do Sheffielders feel about people moving into the area? Will we be accepted by the majority? When we visited my Sister, we had a night out and a few people singled out my 'cockney' accent, in a friendly way! but I am aware that it would be obvious that I am not local!!

In any case, I would need to relocate by September so my son can start school. also I am teaching until July.

I would be really grateful for any advice and also to hear from anyone who has successfully moved a four hour drive away from family and friends, to find out the pitfalls and positives..... : )

Hi,

Wow! Lots of big changes you are planning for the future ahead. I strongly believe you shouldn't worry about being from the south. I have recently completed some work for a client who couldn't be any more cockney, a lovely lade and she has settled in very well. She loves Sheffield very much and have helped her wherever possible if she has asked.

I am a House Architect and developer born and raised in Sheffield so hopefully, you will take my advice seriously. Based on what you have mentioned, I think you are looking at a house worth approx. £100,000. I really wanted to suggest Crookes are which is a quality part of Sheffield and close to all sorts of facilities. It does have a community type feel to the area. However, I dont think you will find anything attractive with a £100K budget. I think Hillsborough would be better suited for this budget. I personally think, it is worth trying to find somewhere in Crookes now whilst the prices are down as you will thank me in the future. It is a highly desirable area, close to the universities, close to some of the best schools in Sheffield and not too far to the city centre. With this price range too, you are exempt from stamp duty which is a massive help.

You will be able to find a property to rent at £550.00 in this area and I strongly suggest you do this before investing your savings into a new home for yourself. Move into rented accommodation for 6 months, and study the market. However, a small tip is that if you want a deal, try and do a deal during the month of November or December. Naturally, people are too busy to think about buying so more chance of you agreeing a lower price with the vendor. This has worked for me in the past too. I really think Crookes would suite you though if you can push your budget to £125,000. I used to own a property in Crookes which was a great investment and brought great rewards during the peak market. There are lot of small young families who live their, some who are our friends too.

Please let me know if you want more details and I will be happy to help. Hopefully, this has given you some confidence and direction for your move to Sheffield (which I am sure will be for the better).

we live on a quiet cul de sac near northern general hospital in firvale area and it is great all neighbours are extremely friendly and we all help each other out. Crookes is nice but it isn't the only place in sheff with a community feel and some people from there do think they are better than others only some though!! I have lived all over Sheffield and every area has odd few trouble makers like anywhere else so dont be put off by negative comments about a certain area most are good. Any questions feel free to contact me. Good luck with your move xx

my question is should I rent for six months before I commit my savings into a home?

Yes, definitely.

where are the good senior schools catchments. I can afford about £550 pcm rent...
Don't know I'm afraid.

Or should I just take the plunge and buy? We only need a small place but want to live in an area with community spirit! Trouble is we could only afford a small mortgage - definitely no more than £90000.

Have you considered living out of Sheffield, housing is cheaper in the surrounding villages and there are some decent schools.

So it is a big ask. At the moment property here is very expensive and it has taken four years to save up a modest deposit with having to pay rent too. Also I suppose I am a bit scared that I will not fit in up north!

How do Sheffielders feel about people moving into the area? Will we be accepted by the majority? When we visited my Sister, we had a night out and a few people singled out my 'cockney' accent, in a friendly way! but I am aware that it would be obvious that I am not local!!

I doubt you'll have any issues fitting in, Sheffield has one of the highest rates of graduate retention in the country, so there are lots of people from all over the country here.

In any case, I would need to relocate by September so my son can start school. also I am teaching until July.

I would be really grateful for any advice and also to hear from anyone who has successfully moved a four hour drive away from family and friends, to find out the pitfalls and positives..... : )

Can't say that I've done that, not since uni anyway, you'll make new friends though, and I do have friends that have moved away, they made new friends in their new locations, but still keep in touch with their old friends. Family is a bit more difficult, you can't make new family, but you can talk to them on the phone and visit whenever you need to, it just takes a bit more planning than when it's a 30 minute drive.

You will be accepted with open arms, there are loads of southerners here, mainly people who went to Uni here and never leaved!

Plenty of inexpensive housing (unless you want a council place then you need to be black, disabled etc), close to countryside etc.

only thing is the job markets poor, loads of unemployment (though not as bad as some parts of the north).

I think there are a few good areas you could try. If you are considering school catchments then see link number 1 below regarding secondary schools catchment area and then link 2 for the schools recent GCSE performance.

1. https://eduplugins.sheffield.gov.uk/schools/catchments.aspx (scroll down to the bottom of the page and enter either the postcode or house No. and street name)

2. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/special/education/school_tables/secondary/10/html/gcse_373.stm?compare=

Some of the areas with good schools within your budget include:

- Crookes

- Hillsborough

- Stannington

- Norton / Norton Lees

- Woodseats

- Meersbrook

- Aston / Swallownest (a little further out but close to the motorway for when you want to go back down south visiting relatives)

- Dronfield (although not techinically in Sheffield it isn't far and the school has a good reputation - my nephew goes there and is doing well).

These are just my personal opinion from knowledge of friends / family living in the areas stated above. It is by no means exclusive, it's just I don't have info on other areas.

I would also suggest renting first as an area that would suit one person may not suit another. It will give you chance to get to know Sheffield better before making a bigger financial commitment to a specific house.

Hi to all who gave such helpful advice and support! I cant reply to the personal message as I would have liked as I have to had 5 posts first - so to the lovely guy who sent a pm thank you too if you read this!

I am amazed at the swift and friendly response from you all - which has confirmed that my choice to relocate to Sheffield is the right one.

I am sure that I will be on this forum a great deal in preparation for my move up, as there will be so much to find out, but your advice and links so far have been great and given me much more perspective.

I am very excited now and really looking forward to the new lifestyle a city will offer me and my small family, So thanks again x

Archived