Moving up to Sheffield

loveelf

Hi loveelf,

Harvey Street/green Street wouldn't be my first choice to be honest but there are some big (tall) houses on there that rent out queit cheaply. I would point you more in the direction of Pot House area (no jokes please) and Whitwell Lane or Garden Village area (Morelands Avenue / Arthur Road / wooley Road area.) You're right about the leisure centre being basic but there is more going on than meets the eye. When my kids were younger they went there for Judo, football and swimming lessons. We've had numerous birthday parties there for the kids. I think they still do athletics etc as well. The Venue is more an evening type place. Thats where the am-dram meet up. Also they have various clubs that meet up from dancing, keep fit, computer courses, slimming clubs Zumba etc etc.

Like anywhere, things are constantly under threat of closure due to funding but generally people rally round to keep things going. We tend to avoid the Friendship & The Coach also on the main road. We go to the Castle up in Bolsterstone, Lowoods Club in Deepcar and sometimes the Silver Fox, Royal Oak or Pen Nook.

Hillsbourough is a 10 minute drive or bus ride with a terminal and direct bus to the Tram Terminus at Middlewood, 2 or 3 minutes on the tram to Hillsborough. The tram also goes into the city centre and Meadowhall from Middlewood, we tend to use the park and ride scheme.

Its nice that the 6 finger reputation is going strong, keeps less desirable people away from us and our little secret! Neither of us are from Stocksbridge originally but are glad this is where we made our home for the past 14 years!

Archived