Power of attorney

A power of attorney allows the nominated person to make decisions on behalf of someone, it does not stop due legal process. If you have to pay for a care home and a house sale is the only way to provide money a power of attorney has no legal power to prevent it.

Theres only one correct legal way to stop the sale of a home for care and it costs upwards of £300.

A power of attorney allows the nominated person to make decisions on behalf of someone, it does not stop due legal process. If you have to pay for a care home and a house sale is the only way to provide money a power of attorney has no legal power to prevent it.

Theres only one correct legal way to stop the sale of a home for care and it costs upwards of £300.

Can you tell me more about that please?

Also, if youre looking to do this for a family member because you believe they are no longer capable of taking care of themselves, you need to make sure the lawyer sees that they are fit to sign one.

If they are not, a PoA will not be granted. You will need to proceed with a court of protection instead.

We had to go this route when my Grandfather dementia was discovered too far along and we were unable to get a Power of Attorney put in place.

Please could you tell me more about this??? I'm currently having to go through Court of Protection for my mum...... Thanks :) :)

I understand POA has changed considerably in the last 3 years. If you have an older one it is still valid but my brief told me the current one isn't worth the candle.

Massively so.

Mental Capacity Act changed everything, so now, to be considered incapable of making your own decisions, you have to be very, very incapacitated. I've had head injured clients who weren't considered "patients" under the terms of the act, even though most people would think them totally incapable.

Archived