Power of attorney

What happens when two attorneys under an Enduring Power of Attorney can't agree?

It depends. The person who granted it made them either:

a. joint; or

b. joint and several.

Joint = they take decisions jointly. Either can refer a dispute between them to the Court of Protection.

Joint and several = each can act alone, binding the other.

• 6 months later...

Dragging up an old thread here, which I've read with interest as we're setting this up regarding my father. Just got a quick question about costs really, we've been quoted £500 by his own solicitor, does this sound reasonable or should we be shopping around?

Dragging up an old thread here, which I've read with interest as we're setting this up regarding my father. Just got a quick question about costs really, we've been quoted £500 by his own solicitor, does this sound reasonable or should we be shopping around?

If you mean a Lasting Power of Attorney, that figure sounds about right.

Massively so.

Mental Capacity Act changed everything, so now, to be considered incapable of making your own decisions, you have to be very, very incapacitated. I've had head injured clients who weren't considered "patients" under the terms of the act, even though most people would think them totally incapable.

Mods Please delete my post!

Archived