Cameron announces wholesale privatisation of public services

What I don't understand is why the private sector would want to take over public services since they are not profitable.

Oh they can make them profitable. One plan is to outsource IT support staff in schools. Most schools have at least one techie - on around £11000 - £15000 a year.

Combine all the techies from the secondary schools up, put them in a call centre, get rid of half, and bingo, instant profit. But what they've failed to consider is the IT illiteracy of teachers. They like to just contact the in house guys and get them to fix problems - they don't want to ring a call centre and be talked through a problem, especially when it eats into teaching time.

And if the problem is something simple, but can't be fixed by the teacher, the techie has to come out in a little van to do a 2 minute job, but that lesson time is probably lost.

A policy instigated by "Mad Maggie" and her privatisation of everything that was British.

I don't believe that to be the case.

However, since she's been out of power for 20 years, how do you account for it since? It seems to be a policy that Labour took to heart.

I don't believe that to be the case.

She did away with the matrons and privatised parts of the NHS (which is why it became almost impossible to get an NHS dentist in the mid 80s).

However, since she's been out of power for 20 years, how do you account for it since?

I don't have to account for anything. All governments since then have abused our public services.

It seems to be a policy that Labour took to heart.

I've never voted for them. LieBore are just as bad as the CONservatives when it comes to looking after their own interests

She did away with the matrons and privatised parts of the NHS (which is why it became almost impossible to get an NHS dentist in the mid 80s).

Odd, because pretty much every independant reference I find re: Thatcher and the NHS says she mostly left it alone (along with the Royal Mail).

I don't have to account for anything. All governments since then have abused our public services.

That's OK, I didn't think you'd be able to ;)

I read somewhere this morning that a large portion of private companies would not employ ex-public service workers as they are deemed not to have the right skills.

Depends where you read that quote & who made it.

Although I'd much rather be treated in a health service that put need before greed, and had a strong ethic of public service. Perhaps those are the kinds of skills that the respondents you read about feel are not right.

The main three parties will be happy to take their turn in office, one after the other every four years. They will continue to leach away the countries wealth - commit the young to a life of poverty driven crime and leave the old to the mercy of private 'care homes' and under-funded hospitals. Viva le revolution! Enjoy!

Depends where you read that quote & who made it.

Although I'd much rather be treated in a health service that put need before greed, and had a strong ethic of public service. Perhaps those are the kinds of skills that the respondents you read about feel are not right.

It was either on teletext, the BBC website or in todays issue of i.

The way I looked at it was the implication that people who are currently employed in council run care homes will not be deemed to have the right skills when the homes are taken over by private companies. Which I know is a narrow view of a rather sweeping statement but that was my first reaction.

Archived