How long are criminal records kept for?

TJC1

The Government is reviewing whether the criminal records regime strikes the right balance between respecting civil liberties and protecting the public. It is considering proposals to scale back the use of systems involving criminal records to common sense levels.

The results of this will be published sep 2011, will wipe millions of minor offences off police records if upheld.

Which is the opposite of what you claimed (that there were offences that were already wiped after a period of time - something which was pointed out to you previously to be incorrect, which you claimed was wrong).

So... Are we to see an admittance that you were wrong in your original assertion?

nothing is ever deleted from police files.

Oh yes it is. A close relative was arrested for drunk driving and the case went to court where it was thrown out. This left persons fingerprints and dna on record. European court ruling says that if the police have your DNA /fingerprints on file for a particular offense and you are found not guilty of said offence you have every right to request there destruction. He did and they were.

Oh yes it is. A close relative was arrested for drunk driving and the case went to court where it was thrown out. This left persons fingerprints and dna on record. European court ruling says that if the police have your DNA /fingerprints on file for a particular offense and you are found not guilty of said offence you have every right to request there destruction. He did and they were.

The DNA database is a completely different issue entirely.

If your close relative was found not guilty (as you say) then there would be no mention of it on their criminal record.

The DNA database issue relates to even being arrested (they take a DNA sample which is recorded) and then released/found not guilty.

I found this here: http://www.crb.homeoffice.gov.uk/faqs/applicants_-_top_10.aspx#Canmyconvictions Hope it helps.

2. Can my convictions be removed from the Police National Computer?

On the 19th October 2009, a judgement by the Court of Appeal supported retention of criminal convictions on the Police National Computer for policing purposes. In particular the police are obliged, under Part V of the Police Act, to provide the Criminal Records Bureau with access to all convictions held on the PNC.

Therefore, the stepping down of convictions is no longer undertaken. In effect this means that all convictions will be retained on the PNC until an individuals 100th birth date.

Under Part V of the Police Act 1997, the CRB has a statutory duty to include on a CRB certificate details of every conviction, caution, reprimand and warning that is recorded on the PNC.

The CRB are not 'data controllers' of the PNC therefore do not own or determine how information is processed on the PNC.

My reply was to the person who stated that the police do not delete anything from their files not in response to the op. Please read my quote. S Y constabulary destroyed the dan samples and fingerprints on instruction from ECHR. I quite agree that this would still be on file had the outcome been different

Its a bit silly - if it stays on your record for life.

At the age of 16, one lad may have broke another lads nose + hit him over the head with a bottle, then set his rottweiler off to urinate over the victims head..... Yet, 40 years later, this would appear on a CRB check.

We all know that an excitable 16 year old, can turn into a boring 56 year old. The 56 year old may make a perfect vicar, boring, gets on with OAPS, has bad breath and listens to everyones problems.

WE all have a past

yes I know, I followed this case with interest and well done him for making a change in the law. In my post that you quoted, I was replying to a post from the OP saying that certain convictions are deleted after 10 years so I actually meant things pertaining to a criminal record. In your relative's case he didnt have a criminal record which is why, quite rightly, his identifying marks were deleted. Sorry if I didnt make it very clear.

Funny how police can keep records for years for things like in my case for vandalism and drinking under age .but that Huntley who killed theme 2 little girls were was the police records then he had been in trouble before,If the police did say that they would delete records I would not believe them any way unless I was there to see it for my self .

The DNA database is a completely different issue entirely.

If your close relative was found not guilty (as you say) then there would be no mention of it on their criminal record.

The DNA database issue relates to even being arrested (they take a DNA sample which is recorded) and then released/found not guilty.

I was right. The Scottish system has a 'weeding' policy which is usually 20 years. It can be 10 years for some very minor offences.

So a minor offence can be spent, after 6 months. It gets removed completely after 10 to 20 years.

Archived