Are snacks and drinks overpriced at the cinema?

Nagel

What do you think of cinema snack and drink prices?  

118 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of cinema snack and drink prices?

• I think they are underpriced and good value.
    • I think they are overpriced.
    • I think they are fairly priced.
    • I take my own snacks and drinks.

Of course they are- but its the same whenever a company has an audience that has limited options- football grounds being the same.

Although there isn't anything stopping you taking your own so just plan in advance?

They are overpriced, but it is also where the cinemas make most of their money. If they couldn't charge that much, cinema ticket prices would go up or the cinema would go out of business.

Just think yourself lucky you have to option of not buying it if you don't want to.

They are overpriced, but it is also where the cinemas make most of their money. If they couldn't charge that much, cinema ticket prices would go up or the cinema would go out of business.

Just think yourself lucky you have to option of not buying it if you don't want to.

I've worked in a cinema in my student days. On average the cinema would take between 3-5% of the ticket, usually the lower figure. The rest goes to the distributor and film makers. I know those figures maybe out of date as it was a while ago now but somehow I doubt they are.

Refreshements are really the only income to support the wages, bills etc and those don't come cheap so the cinema has to inflate the prices to survive.

I find it quite ironic that the distributors/film makers take so much, afterall if there are no cinemas in which to show their films they wouldn't make any money.

The reason the sundries are so expensive is because they are what the cinema makes money from. Approximately 80-85% of the ticket is returned either to the films distributor and/or is VAT.

Leaving about £1.50 for the Cinema. Meaning that the cinemas rely on selling snacks and drinks to make any money. I can't give you the exact breakdown but Beakerzoid is/was the Cineworld manager so he can no doubt give the exact breakdown (I would imagine it also differs from distributor to distributor) but the figures I give wont be to far off.

Cinema tickets are already pricey. Cineworld is £7.60 for an adult ticket, not exactly cheap to sit in a room and see a fillum projected. You also get subjected to a load of adverts at deafening volume before the movie comes on.

Maybe the distributors should charge less if they only leave 5% profit for the cinema. Or maybe the cinemas would sell more snacks if they priced them more realistically and end up making more money through a higher turnover.

Cinema tickets are already pricey. Cineworld is £7.60 for an adult ticket, not exactly cheap to sit in a room and see a fillum projected. You also get subjected to a load of adverts at deafening volume before the movie comes on.

Considering how soon movies end up on DVD I'd much rather wait a month or two and get it from Lovefilm. Just two of us going to see one film would probably pay for a 2 month sub!

And the cinema releases are so dire there's nothing worth seeing. "Expendables" came at the weekend and it was one of the worst films I've ever seen, I turned it off half way through.

Archived