Are snacks and drinks overpriced at the cinema?

Nagel

What do you think of cinema snack and drink prices?  

118 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of cinema snack and drink prices?

• I think they are underpriced and good value.
    • I think they are overpriced.
    • I think they are fairly priced.
    • I take my own snacks and drinks.

I understand that Cinema's make only a small amount of profit from the actual ticket price and rely on selling snacks to boost their income, the price of some stuff at Cineworld in particular is not just over-priced, it's taking the pee in my opinion. Four quid for a bag of popcorn that probably costs about 20p to produce!? I'm sorry but there is absolutely no justification for charging that much other than the simple idea that there is no competition and you can't pop next door and buy it cheaper (much like motorway service stations).

Last time I went I was looking at the snacks counter and I saw a sign saying "Ben & Jerry's Ice cream - £2.15" and I thought that was quite reasonable because the tubs usually cost more than that in supermarkets. Then I read a little more carefully and realised that it was actually £2.15 per scoop. Seriously... £2.15 for one scoop of ice cream!?!?! And people accept this and pay it????

It's just profiteering as far as I am concerned. The snack counter at The Showroom, while still pricier than a newsagents etc, is much better value than places like Cineworld; and as an independent cinema you are not bombarded with 20 minutes of adverts before the film either.

I understand that Cinema's make only a small amount of profit from the actual ticket price and rely on selling snacks to boost their income, the price of some stuff at Cineworld in particular is not just over-priced, it's taking the pee in my opinion. Four quid for a bag of popcorn that probably costs about 20p to produce!? I'm sorry but there is absolutely no justification for charging that much other than the simple idea that there is no competition and you can't pop next door and buy it cheaper (much like motorway service stations).

Last time I went I was looking at the snacks counter and I saw a sign saying "Ben & Jerry's Ice cream - £2.15" and I thought that was quite reasonable because the tubs usually cost more than that in supermarkets. Then I read a little more carefully and realised that it was actually £2.15 per scoop. Seriously... £2.15 for one scoop of ice cream!?!?! And people accept this and pay it????

It's just profiteering as far as I am concerned. The snack counter at The Showroom, while still pricier than a newsagents etc, is much better value than places like Cineworld; and as an independent cinema you are not bombarded with 20 minutes of adverts before the film either.

You really don't have to buy it,. As for profiteering - hardly

"Profiteering is a pejorative term for the act of making a profit by methods considered unethical.

Business owners may be accused of profiteering when they raise prices during an emergency (especially a war). The term is also applied to businesses that play on political corruption to obtain government contracts. Some businesses don't actually gouge the prices of their own goods; they might buy out an entire stock of something, only to resell it at an absurdly higher price."

They are overpriced, but it is also where the cinemas make most of their money. If they couldn't charge that much, cinema ticket prices would go up or the cinema would go out of business.

Just think yourself lucky you have to option of not buying it if you don't want to.

I thank my lucky stars every day I'm not forced to buy something I don't want... So, not very often ;)

You really don't have to buy it.

I know. I don't.

As for profiteering - hardly

"Profiteering is a pejorative term for the act of making a profit by methods considered unethical.

Business owners may be accused of profiteering when they raise prices during an emergency (especially a war). The term is also applied to businesses that play on political corruption to obtain government contracts. Some businesses don't actually gouge the prices of their own goods; they might buy out an entire stock of something, only to resell it at an absurdly higher price."

So do you not consider the practise of artificially inflating the price of something due to the lack of competition as profiteering then?

I think its over priced and the popcorn is always cold and tastes stale.. Though CineWorlds is better than Odeons or MyVues. The last Odeon we went to, my partner swears he bit into a moldy piece (couldnt see as it was dark and wearing 3D glasses) If go back, we're bringing our own snacks with us.

Also, why cant you get hot butter added to your popcorn in the UK? Is it due to health & safety? Movie theatres in the US provide pumps so you can add your own...

To continue on argument on costings Cineworld made £1.13 profit out of every film atendee.

Many Cineworlds have a lot lower ticket prices than Sheffield, with sheffield having Early Bird tickets only until 1pm.

But have a look at Chesterfield early bird is up to 5pm and on Tuesday they have even cheaper tickets all day. And even in peak tickets are 40p cheaper.

So Cineworld do play Sheffield as a mug. If they are going to charge us high prices on food, they should set ticket prices same as other local Cineworld / other cinemas, and if it is a fact they give a large percentage of ticket price to studios etc. it won't make much differance to them to reduce it then will it :P.

There shouldn't be any food and drink in cinema's. Noisy, rustling, slurpy, chewy, crunchy, smelly awfulness.

Spoils the enjoyment for me of many a movie when you've got "Mr Jumbo Bag Of Crisps" next to you.

In answer to the OP yes it's a rip off as well which is why I never buy it. Also to those of you whinging about ticket prices in Sheffield, spare a thought for us poor souls in London, where a ticket in my local Odeon is £11.70 at weekends for adults.

Archived