Are snacks and drinks overpriced at the cinema?

Nagel

What do you think of cinema snack and drink prices?  

118 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of cinema snack and drink prices?

• I think they are underpriced and good value.
    • I think they are overpriced.
    • I think they are fairly priced.
    • I take my own snacks and drinks.

Just found this on there web site;-

As a food operator we offer a wide range of drinks and snacks to satisfy our customers but also protect our cinema furnishings and customers clothing. Not all movie-goers are considerate of others in their snack choices and we have needed to set clearer guidelines on what is appropriate.

That expalins it then! my bottle of coke (plastic bottle) must be made of different stuff to theirs!!!!!!!!!

yup, hot dog and coke everyware is not going to mark the seats, are they mad, in other words, don't you DARE bring your own in!! :loopy:

yup, hot dog and coke everyware is not going to mark the seats, are they mad, in other words, don't you DARE bring your own in!! :loopy:

If you look back to the first page of this thread you will see a comment from Beakerzoid regarding taking your own food in, and generally a blind eye is truned if you are reasonable in what you are taking in and don't have a huge bag full of goodies. Also food from Burger King/subway etc may be turned away/asked to finish it or maybe even store it for you until the end of the film.

As others have mentioned the prices of the food in the cinema are what keeps the building running - pays the bills, pays the staff etc so if it was cheaper then there would be no cinemas.

The staff within a cinema aren't forcing anyone to buy food, its a free choice and people choose to buy food/drinks as part of their cinema experience. But if you think the prices are that bad - don't buy snacks...its only 2/3 hours so eat before, plan to eat after.

Like someone on an earlier post I personally don't bother buying much and i get discount as I work at the cinema, the only thing I tend to buy is the slush drinks or occasionally - usually in summer months an ice cream.

The price of snacks and drinks at Cineworld is mad IMO, £3 for a tube of Pringles? Eh?! Especially when you can get the exact same product for £1.99 in Tesco and try to sneak them in! Oh well, at least the Coke's decent value, I usually get a small one, but the size of the container is large!
Would Tesco be able to sell you the Pringels for £1.99 if they were also providing you with somewhere to sit and eat it for 3 hours? It's the same priciple as paying more for drink in a pub than in a supermarket, people just don't 'get' the idea of business overheads and wage costs.

(But they generally accept that a pub has to charge more for its beer than a supermarket)

Your argument would make more sense if you were let in to see the film for nothing after buying your food.[/quote

I think the cinemas do right.If people are greedy enough to eat while viewing let them pay a premium price.It does mean that abstemious types can enjoy a film at a lower cost.If thats too much to expect why not go the chippy and eat the fish while watching their TV on display?

• 6 months later...
I've worked in a cinema in my student days. On average the cinema would take between 3-5% of the ticket, usually the lower figure. The rest goes to the distributor and film makers. I know those figures maybe out of date as it was a while ago now but somehow I doubt they are.

Refreshements are really the only income to support the wages, bills etc and those don't come cheap so the cinema has to inflate the prices to survive.

I find it quite ironic that the distributors/film makers take so much, afterall if there are no cinemas in which to show their films they wouldn't make any money.

Cineworld actually make a small loss on some films, like the big block busters. If it wasn't for the high priced popcorn (which costs about 2p to make a large one and sells for almost £5), the company would go bust!

Very overpriced on the stuff they sell!!!!

THE MOVIE PRICE IS ENOUGH,why do they feel they can gouge every penny out of ya??

It's easy..don't buy it..in fact the fewer people crunching popcorn and slurping pop in the cinema the better..

Archived