Will you be a "Big Society" volunteer?

Will you be volunteering to be a lollipop man/woman?

How about spending a day going into a school to teach the kids a subject close to your heart?

Or maybe a day helping out in a care home, a library, a hospital, prison or drug rehabilitation centre?

In HMRC we've been offered paid leave if we'd like to be part of The Big Society. Unfortunately we can't just volunteer for any public service, it has to be of benefit to HMRC, such as explaining the intricacies of PAYE to teenagers.

Which seems a bit of a con really as that's something we should be doing anyway!

Has anyone else been offered this wonderful chance to be part of The Big Society? Will you be out there getting involved?

Or are you a volunteer already who does it from the heart and because you care and who doesn't need The Big Society in order to do so?

Will you be volunteering to be a lollipop man/woman?

How about spending a day going into a school to teach the kids a subject close to your heart?

Or maybe a day helping out in a care home, a library, a hospital, prison or drug rehabilitation centre?

In HMRC we've been offered paid leave if we'd like to be part of The Big Society. Unfortunately we can't just volunteer for any public service, it has to be of benefit to HMRC, such as explaining the intricacies of PAYE to teenagers.

Which seems a bit of a con really as that's something we should be doing anyway!

Has anyone else been offered this wonderful chance to be part of The Big Society? Will you be out there getting involved?

Or are you a volunteer already who does it from the heart and because you care and who doesn't need The Big Society in order to do so?

Post the details of PAYE on here and take a day off.

Teenagers should read my posts on the Effective Marginal tax rate.

Yep.

The HMRC scheme is a bit of an odd one though. If they want to do PR they should call it PR. If they want to do CSR they should come up with something that is for the benefit of others that allows them to bask in the reflected glory, not do something that is for the benefit of HMRC.

I do hope that they will be paying your expenses for your 'day off' and conversely don't expect others to pay their own expenses for the good work that they do with their business, not for their business.

Forgive me for not trusting HMRC but I smell a rat. I hope that I'm mistaken.

I was asked to speak to young business people by my local community group, but declined as there was no financial reward on offer. Little did they know that I have been advising local businesses in my spare time for years, free of charge. The fact that they expected me to do it FOC offended me, If they had offered something I would have turned it down and given my services for free!:mad:

Archived