Will you be a "Big Society" volunteer?

Will you be volunteering to be a lollipop man/woman?

How about spending a day going into a school to teach the kids a subject close to your heart?

Or maybe a day helping out in a care home, a library, a hospital, prison or drug rehabilitation centre?

In HMRC we've been offered paid leave if we'd like to be part of The Big Society. Unfortunately we can't just volunteer for any public service, it has to be of benefit to HMRC, such as explaining the intricacies of PAYE to teenagers.

Which seems a bit of a con really as that's something we should be doing anyway!

Has anyone else been offered this wonderful chance to be part of The Big Society? Will you be out there getting involved?

Or are you a volunteer already who does it from the heart and because you care and who doesn't need The Big Society in order to do so?

You could volunteer to video suspected benefit cheats playing football and the like, or secretly living with somebody when they've said they're living alone.

I already give approximately 15 hours per week to society.

I'm out of the house for around 9 hours a day at work, so 45 hours a week.

And I lose about a third of what I earn in tax.

Therefore, 15 hours (a third of my time) is spent working directly for society.

I'm sure most other people who are employed do the same.

However, those that are not employed by who claim benefits probably don't contribute their time.

They may not have the money, but they will have the time. Maybe that should be a starting point for big society.

its admirable that HMRC are giving paid leave to staff to volunteer but not so good that they dictate what shape this volunteering should take.

:nono:

And as far as big society is concerned it's all a load of tosh. Those who have volunteered or will volunteer do so because that's something they always have done. It won't create an army of new folk rushing to do work for free. It takes a certain kind of personality to do stuff for free and there are some who never would.

p.s. SV you little fibber I know you have a charitable bone in your body I've seen you in action remember. ;)

It's also a way to get something for nothing on behalf of the government.

Isn't the mantra of the government(?) something like, "Nobody should get something for free?" I pointed this out the other week and get slated for the Tory Bullyboys as you might expect.

You could volunteer to video suspected benefit cheats playing football and the like, or secretly living with somebody when they've said they're living alone.

I don't have to volunteer to do that - there are people who get paid to do it. Or maybe if I volunteer to do that, someone from the benefits agency can volunteer to do my job for a day.

Archived