Will you be a "Big Society" volunteer?

I was thinking the same. There isn't a direct link between losing benefits if you don't accept reasonable work offer/doing community work and volunteering for the benefit of others.

It's a pity that volunteering has become a political issue. For me volunteering is about helping others, it has nothing to do with my political beliefs.

In fact my political beliefs are shifting but I feel the same way about volunteering.

They did mess up that's true. However, I always thought the problem was brought about by the banking crisis? I think its simplistic to just blame Labour...

I don't think Labour made people borrow loads of money they couldn't pay back, they didn't make me anyway.

The problem started when collectively, governments, banks, individuals, (and not just in the UK) we all decided we could spend more than we earned (and banks invented ways to lend to previously uncreditworthy individuals). Well the chickens have come home to roost.

Ain't no getting round it, it's payback time. And if we don't start paying back, then our credit rating falls, interest rates rise and we're in even deeper doodoo.

Or we could default on our debts and lose everything ... I'm up for that, I don't have savings or a pension to lose. Let's wipe the slate clean and start again ;)

I don't think Labour made people borrow loads of money they couldn't pay back, they didn't make me anyway.

No but they helped in escalating the situation by not stopping the sales of Council homes and by not building any more which helped them politically and financially. In order to be housed people now had to buy instead of rent. The subsequent escalation in house prices made banks and builders take risks which we are now paying for.

I think volunteers are only real when they are not paid and do the work because they want to, being forced or paid is not volunteering. What's not touched on is the rights of volunteers in the workplace. They don't have employment rights because they are not employees and they may not be insured against accidents in the workplace.

And to answerer the OP, I would never volunteer willingly again, except for babysitting my grandson. :D

No but they helped in escalating the situation by not stopping the sales of Council homes and by not building any more which helped them politically and financially. In order to be housed people now had to buy instead of rent. The subsequent escalation in house prices made banks and builders take risks which we are now paying for.

I think volunteers are only real when they are not paid and do the work because they want to, being forced or paid is not volunteering. What's not touched on is the rights of volunteers in the workplace. They don't have employment rights because they are not employees and they may not be insured against accidents in the workplace.

And to answerer the OP, I would never volunteer willingly again, except for babysitting my grandson. :D

I think that voluntary organisations must have liability insurance in case of accidents.(the one I volunteer for does.)

The problem started when collectively, governments, banks, individuals, (and not just in the UK) we all decided we could spend more than we earned (and banks invented ways to lend to previously uncreditworthy individuals). Well the chickens have come home to roost.

Ain't no getting round it, it's payback time. And if we don't start paying back, then our credit rating falls, interest rates rise and we're in even deeper doodoo.

Or we could default on our debts and lose everything ... I'm up for that, I don't have savings or a pension to lose. Let's wipe the slate clean and start again ;)

And who is suffering, certainly not the banks nor those in Government....as per usual its people, real people struggling to make ends meet who are being shafted whilst those that caused the crisis ride off into the sunset with their bonuses. In it together? Yeah right, when the boss of RBS or Barclays has to beg the council to provide respite care for a severely disabled child I'll begin to believe that the pain is being spread evenly.

Archived