Do you know where your purchases come from?

Do you buy fairtrade?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Do you buy fairtrade?

• Yes I do
    • No, I don't care/think about where products come from
    • No, but I feel guilty that I don't
    • No, but I would if I knew more about it.

I'm interested in how many people are bothered about where the items they purchase are made and who they are made by.

Do many of you buy fairtrade?

Would you pay extra for something that was fairtrade?

Do you feel guilty about the people that are exploited and kept in poverty in order for cheap products to be produced for us?

I try to as long as the price difference isn't massive.

There are also a few countries and companies I don't use for ethical reasons.

The same for me, particularly brands like coca cola and primark as mentioned by someone else.

A lot more companys seem to be producing fairtrade options at a more affordable price now.

I do try and avoid certain places which I know to be totally exploitative but I think both domestic and imported goods could do with better labelling. For example if food from supermarkets had to show both purchase price and farm gate price we'd be better able to see which supermarkets were being fairer to their suppliers. Personally i'd rather pay 10% more for a piece of meat if I know that 10% is going to the farmer and making the difference beween unsustainable supply and farmers making a decent living. Maybe imported goods could be labelled with the lowest hourly wage paid to anyone working in the supply chain that produced the end product, might focus a few minds on the cost of "cheap" goods.

I do try and avoid certain places which I know to be totally exploitative but I think both domestic and imported goods could do with better labelling. For example if food from supermarkets had to show both purchase price and farm gate price we'd be better able to see which supermarkets were being fairer to their suppliers. Personally i'd rather pay 10% more for a piece of meat if I know that 10% is going to the farmer and making the difference beween unsustainable supply and farmers making a decent living. Maybe imported goods could be labelled with the lowest hourly wage paid to anyone working in the supply chain that produced the end product, might focus a few minds on the cost of "cheap" goods.

Labelling would be a great idea. I disagree with the licences businesses have to buy to prove they're fairtrade, it's a massive cost to a small business and often unaffordable. The sort of labelling you suggest would be a lot fairer if it could be implemented correctly.

The same for me, particularly brands like coca cola and primark as mentioned by someone else.

A lot more companys seem to be producing fairtrade options at a more affordable price now.

A fairtrade logo on a product means nothing to me, I am not that gullable. I pay less for a product that does not display such logo's as a mark of respect for their honnesty. So should you.

A fairtrade logo on a product means nothing to me, I am not that gullable. I pay less for a product that does not display such logo's as a mark of respect for their honnesty. So should you.

No I shouldn't. Thank you for input, how useful.

More recently I have also tried to stop shopping at large multinational companies which seem to be killing off our highstreets. It's not easy, takes more time but I don't particularly think supermarkets give any better value than traditional highstreet shops.

Archived