Do you know where your purchases come from?

Do you buy fairtrade?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Do you buy fairtrade?

• Yes I do
    • No, I don't care/think about where products come from
    • No, but I feel guilty that I don't
    • No, but I would if I knew more about it.

The same for me, particularly brands like coca cola and primark as mentioned by someone else.

A lot more companys seem to be producing fairtrade options at a more affordable price now.

Don't know why people have beef with Primark.

If Primark didn't exist, the people making the clothes would have no source of income and would probably starve.

If they charged more for their clothes, fewer people would shop their, less demand, job losses in the country where their clothes are made.

Way I see it, yeah they don't make a great deal of money for making the clothes, but if Primark disappeared, they'd probably starve.

For example if food from supermarkets had to show both purchase price and farm gate price we'd be better able to see which supermarkets were being fairer to their suppliers.

Alternatively, people could go to places other than supermarkets, like traders... i.e. butchers/green grocers etc. There's a reason why many people don't these days. We've/we're being conditioned into efficiency. Efficiency is created by time saving and money saving.

If Primark didn't exist, the people making the clothes would have no source of income and would probably starve.

If they charged more for their clothes, fewer people would shop their, less demand, job losses in the country where their clothes are made.

Way I see it, yeah they don't make a great deal of money for making the clothes, but if Primark disappeared, they'd probably starve.

If Primark didn't exist, then somewhere else would take their place. It's not just them. Newlook is a popular place, where does their stuff come from?

People in all walks of life look for bargains. That will never change.

The "beef" is that people making clothes for companies such as this ARE starving. They have to live way below the poverty line.

It's the opinions that make the difference and the number of people thinking like this seem to be higher than the number of people thinking it's wrong to treat human beings this way.

A lot of flowers sold in supermarkets are grown in Africa. Workers there have stopped farming for themselves and work for big multinational companies for a pittance. Their lives now rely on us buying luxuries instead of them being self supporting.

A lot of flowers sold in supermarkets are grown in Africa. Workers there have stopped farming for themselves and work for big multinational companies for a pittance. Their lives now rely on us buying luxuries instead of them being self supporting.

I see your point, when large corporations such as Tesco and Coca Cola start forcing out small buyers, forcing the price of purchase down workers have no choice but to sell to these large corporations.

Although, It's not fair generalise and say an entire continent only work for large multinational companies for a pittance. For example, in Kenya there are several fairtrade companies operating in the flower market which offer fair wages, free healthcare etc.

I often stand staring at a label in a supermarket ( if I have time ) to find out where the product came from. I am very keen wehere possible to use local produce to cut down on the carbon footprint. Sadly some of the big supermarkets dont stock local produce.I used to love blueberries until I realised how many thousands of miles they have flown over to be with me!

If I do have to buy products that arent from local suppliers then I look at paying for the fair trade ones. ( I love the co operative fair trade chocolate anyway as it it is much better tasting than Cadburys)

Alternatively, people could go to places other than supermarkets, like traders... i.e. butchers/green grocers etc. There's a reason why many people don't these days. We've/we're being conditioned into efficiency. Efficiency is created by time saving and money saving.

If Primark didn't exist, then somewhere else would take their place. It's not just them. Newlook is a popular place, where does their stuff come from?

People in all walks of life look for bargains. That will never change.

The problem with buying clothes from Primark is that it isnt cost effective and our throw away society just adds to landfill whereas paying for decent quality clothes that last for a long time would help to reduce landfill. I always feel I have a bargain if it is good quality and lasts me a long time.

The problem with buying clothes from Primark is that it isnt cost effective and our throw away society just adds to landfill whereas paying for decent quality clothes that last for a long time would help to reduce landfill. I always feel I have a bargain if it is good quality and lasts me a long time.

Are you saying Primark stuff is crap?

Do you think [most] people actually care about landfill?

Archived