Asylum seekers statistics help

I imagine the OP wants reliable data, not a load of made-up rubbish.

Hence they should not only rely on the Refugee Council. As I stated, I'm sure you can easily disprove the information I linked to if it's made up, rather than simply using dismissive rhetoric.

Better thing, I think, is to gather all the data, from left, right and nutty, then make up your own mind. True, migration watch is tainted. But so is the refugee council. They both have agendas. even the stats from the government can't be trusted. Take them all then see.

What is made-up in the Refugee Council data?

I'm not saying anything is made up, I am suggesting a charity which represents asylum seekers might put a pro-asylum seeker slant on things, so should not be wholly relied upon as a sole source of information. Since links to such sources are being posted, in the interests of balance, I thought the OP might be interested in some of the Migration Watch stuff.

My advice to the OP - short of being able to get the raw stats you're after, take in a range of sources from across the board, don't rely on one particular source, which includes the two organisations mentioned above :thumbsup:

Asylum Seekers and Refugees in Sheffield:

Who is an asylum seeker?

Anyone at all is allowed to ask for protection in another country that has signed up to the Refugee Convention if he or she is at risk of being persecuted in his or her home country. An asylum seeker is someone who has arrived in the UK and made an application for asylum to the UK authorities and is waiting for a decision on whether this will be granted

Who is a refugee?

A refugee is someone who has had their asylum application thoroughly investigated, and who has proven that they have ‘a well-founded fear of being persecuted for reasons of race, religion, membership of a particular social group, or political opinion’ in their homeland and are afraid to return to that country. They are therefore entitled to remain in the UK and obtain work.

Where do they come from?

An asylum seeker cannot claim asylum if he or she is not on UK soil. Sheffield accepts a small number of vulnerable refugees under the international Gateway protection programme. The programme resettles vulnerable people from countries where there is little opportunity for people to make their own way to a safe country. Since 2004 people from Liberia in West Africa and from Burma in south-east Asia have come to live in the city under the programme. They are not asylum seekers, as they are granted refugee status on arrival in the UK. They can seek work, claim benefits and have most of the rights as the rest of the resident population. Most asylum seekers in Sheffield now come from the following five countries: Iraq, Eritrea, Iran, the Democratic republic of Congo and Zimbabwe (April 2007 figures). Nationally the major home countries of asylum seekers are Eritrea, Afghanistan and Iran.

Why do they come to the UK?

Most asylum seekers do not come here – they stay in the first safe country they reach or are internally displaced within their own country. The vast majority of refugees can be found in the developing world, accounting for 72% of the world’s estimated 12 million refugees between 1992 and 2001. Research shows that most asylum seekers who do come to the UK have little choice in the matter – they are dependent on whoever arranges their escape. For those who do have a choice, the main reasons are: some knowledge of English, having relatives or friends living in the country and a belief that the UK is a safe, tolerant and democratic society.

Are asylum seekers able to work or claim high levels of benefits?

Asylum seekers do not have the right to work while their cases are being assessed. They can apply for permission to work from the Home Office but this is not an entitlement. The Home Office funds accommodation and cash support for asylum seekers with little or no money. On average the cash level of this support is 70 per cent of Income support benefits.

Do asylum seekers receive free televisions, cars and mobile telephones?

No. This is just a myth and is completely untrue. Asylum seekers only receive basic living necessities from the state. If asylum seekers do have mobile phones, it will be because they have saved up to pay for them – mobile ‘phones are often the only means of communication asylum seekers have with their homeland, their solicitors or immigration authorities.

Can they jump the housing queue ahead of local people?

No. Councils receive extra funding from the government to fund housing available for asylum seekers. Asylum seekers do not have the right to apply for social housing. Many are housed in privately rented accommodation, with funding from the Home Office. Refugees (people who are given permission to remain in the UK) can apply for council housing but are subject to the same criteria for allocation as the rest of the population.

How many asylum seekers are here?

The number of asylum seekers being supported in Sheffield is a small proportion of the population. The number of asylum seekers being supported in Sheffield is a small proportion of the total population, and has been reducing steadily in the last two years. In Sheffield asylum seekers make up approximately 0.3% of the total population, which amounts to around 1500 individuals including dependent children. (April 2007)

How long are they here for?

Asylum seekers can wait between a few weeks and several months before they are given an initial decision on their asylum application. Many whose initial claims are refused may appeal against the decision - this can take up to a year to take place.

Do Council Tax payers foot the bill for the asylum support system?

No. Central government meets the costs of looking after asylum seekers who are waiting for a decision on their asylum application.

Why do many refused asylum seekers remain in the UK?

The Immigration Service removes many refused asylum seekers forcibly. Others return home on a voluntary basis. Others may remain because, although their asylum claim has been refused, they are genuinely frightened of returning home. The Home Office does offer accommodation and voucher support (not cash) to refused asylum seekers who meet certain criteria. But those who do not take up or are refused this support may become homeless and destitute. Some may work illegally for very low wages and be at risk of exploitation.

http://asylumonline.co.uk/

does anyone know directly if there is a website I could go on giving me numbers of asylum seekers in the uk, and things like what percentage are on benefits never worked ect?

thanks

Here's one may be a bit out of date,

http://www.nao.org.uk/publications/0809/management_of_asylum_appl.aspx

The Agency plans to conclude by 2011 the 400,000-450,000 legacy cases that were outstanding prior to the introduction of the New Asylum Model. 10,000 cases per month would need to be concluded to meet this task, compared with 4,000 per month to date. There are also external factors, such as no safe route home, which prevent the Agency from concluding 20 per cent of the remaining cases, so the target looks challenging on the basis of current plans. The support costs of legacy cases, which totalled some £430 million in 2007-08, mean that value for money is impaired by the time it is taking to conclude them. Many cases will not be concluded for at least another three years, whether or not the target for 2011 is met.

thanks for all your reply's people :)

I just want a site with plain stats not the "they are not as bad for us then you think" rubbish

its like mcdonalds providing you with the sugar leves ect then putting above "it is not really unhealthy" I can make my own mind up thanks :)

I dont need someone to convince me of something!!

thanks for all your reply's people :)

I just want a site with plain stats not the "they are not as bad for us then you think" rubbish

its like mcdonalds providing you with the sugar leves ect then putting above "it is not really unhealthy" I can make my own mind up thanks :)

I dont need someone to convince me of something!!

i that's just it, see, there's no such site. they all stand on either side of the debate for different reason. from this post am i right in thinking you want a site that says the opposite to -"they are not as bad for us then you think". some links have already been pos

Archived