Twitter is 5 years old

Can you believe it, Twitter is 5 years old!

I for one never thought it would last more than a year or two.

Does it survive merely on celebs and media types promoting themselves, or is there something in it for ordinary folks who aren't infatuated with the rich and famous?

I went on there in the early days and subscribed to everyone I could find with my own name (there were over 50!). But all the tweets were banal and irrelevant. So obviously that's not the way to use it.

I was told that the real news about the protests in Iran in 2009 could be found on Twitter, but there were hundreds a minute - who's got time to filter through that? Who needs more than a good quality Sunday newspaper to keep you informed about world events? http://behance.vo.llnwd.net/profiles2/93774/projects/255583/937741246374523.jpg

But what about keeping in touch with friends? Well, really, do we need an up to the second stream of consciousness from everyone we know? If something important is happening to my mates they'll tell me next time I have a drink, or me and the OH go out with them or come round for dinner.

I've still got this horrible suspicion that it's not good for us to text 'n' tweet everything, that there should be gaps between our conversations so that we can think and filter and not bombard our friends and be bombarded by trivia.

Or have I seriously missed the point somewhere and destined to be a grumpy old man forever more when something new comes along?

I think you're part right and part wrong. Filtering would be good sometimes - there have been twitter controversies that were overblown and sort of mob-mentality-ish - but on the whole, you can't beat it for quick news, reaction and comment.

It's all about who you follow - you need to be discerning. On the whole I think it's fairly brilliant.

Twitter is older that you think, by about 6 years. Many people will have you believe that such sites such as Twitter, Facebook, MySpace etc are instant overnight successes. They're not. The 5 year anniversary you speak of is just the anniversary of the site becoming publically well known through some news item that went viral.

According to WHOIS:

Twitter.com - Registered & Online since 21-Jan-2000

Facebook.com - Registered & Online since 29-Mar-1997

MySpace.com - Registered & Online since 22-Feb-1996

If you have a hobby or a particular interest, then Twitter is a great way of making contact with others who are interested in the same subject.

In my case, my bad habit of tweeting from pubs about the beer I'm drinking has got me all sorts of places. In fact there's a #twissup involving lots of people who tweet about beer in York on Saturday.

I'm on Twitter too @priestleyl if anyone is interested.

I get the @personsname but not #personsname - :help:

I find it fun using Twitter and it's great if you've got a particular interest in something, like MMA for myself.

@personsname = mentioning the person it shows up on their twit feed also

#personsname = groups all tweets with the # together as in #libya when you search for it.

#FB selectively copies your tweet to FB (if you do that)

@personsname = mentioning the person it shows up on their twit feed also

#personsname = groups all tweets with the # together as in #libya when you search for it.

#FB selectively copies your tweet to FB (if you do that)

Thank you very much :)

Archived