An end to Public Services

I really think the public services need reform, maybe some should be privitised, I just dont care anymore to be honest, cant be any worse than the complete mess Labour left them in. I was reading a story today regarding defense applications, Labour basically starting jobs then the budget mushrooms and we are left with a 350bn hole in the budget.

There was some serious mismanagement going on, although Labour are not to blame for the global finanical crisis they have to take the blame for most of the deficit.

Saying all of this, I still think we need to spend our way out of the recession- so the tories have got this wrong too. I would vote GREEN next time!

Or, more correctly, the speculating bankers caused most of this damage that the current government is trying to repair. At the expense of everyone in the country, except those that were actually responsible.

How can speculating bankers cause damage to the country? Banks are private businesses. It should be no-ones business outside of their owners and shareholders how their business is run.

The "global credit crunch" affected countries that heavily rely on the revenue raised from the financial sector more than those that have a diversified economy. The question is, which government through all their eggs in the financial services basket, and had to pay the price? I'll give you a clue, it wasn't the current coalition government.

The bankers didn't bail themselves out.

Same thing happening in the US. Attempts to undermine union bargaining rights, public worker jobs targeted by Tea Party republicans, middle class being gradually eroded

I dont want to sound paranoid but I sometimes wonder if there's some kind of agenda underway by big business and some politicians to reduce the middle class to low wage earners and provide cheap labour to compete industrially with China

Same thing happening in the US. Attempts to undermine union bargaining rights, public worker jobs targeted by Tea Party republicans, middle class being gradually eroded

I dont want to sound paranoid but I sometimes wonder if there's some kind of agenda underway by big business and some politicians to reduce the middle class to low wage earners and provide cheap labour to compete industrially with China

It's hardly an agenda. It's more an economic necessity. The middle-class in this country was built on the back of economic conditions that simply aren't there anymore. Will all the will in the world, there's nothing the government can do about it.

Yes, David Cameron and Nick Clegg want to reduce the public sector to a similar scale as that currently enjoyed in Somalia. But before they get rid of everything they aim to privatise EVERY single part of the public services.

This means that only the larger organisations will run services (because their bids can afford to be much lower than smaller companies due to the scale of their operations) such as Jobcentres. The pressures of profit margins to maintain, not having a proper local knowledge of the labour market and 'clients' having to deal with the bureaucracy, hierarchy and one size fits all, low cost approach model that the larger private operations persistently adopt will be wonderful for all.

It's hardly an agenda. It's more an economic necessity. The middle-class in this country was built on the back of economic conditions that simply aren't there anymore. Will all the will in the world, there's nothing the government can do about it.

Thanks in part to the huge amounts of jobs that have gone off shore and who was responsible for that?

Once big businesses realized that there was a source of cheap labour available and that could be exploited they started shift their operations overseas in double quick order and consequently increasing their bottom line by a few thousand percent. Prices for the products that they previously manufactured in their home countries didnt come down though.

Governments must take some blame for this state of affairs since they did little to stop this huge shift of jobs overseas.

Anyway, once the middle class are reduced to low earnig peons then the world economy will collapse anyway. It's not the wealthy and certainly not the poor who keep the economy going is it?

Typical rant from the OP without thinking a little more about the reason why.

1) The mining industry was in a hell of a mess already before Thatcher went near it. Plus try reading up about the sulphur level in UK coal as opposed to foreign coal.

UK coal was the cheapest in the EEC and had the lowest level of subsidies. It was a long way from being in a mess.

Have you ever heard of desulpherisation?

2) Labour spent and spent and spent without considering the consequences. BSF, Iraq, Afghanistan, nuclear submarines, ID cards, PFI initiatives, and so on. And on.

Labour cut spending, it increased again, then it decreased before the steep increase because of the recession.

At no time was their spending unaffordable. Infact it was less than it was under Thatcher.

Public spending during Labour years

http://www.ukpublicspending.co.uk/downchart_ukgs.php?year=1997_2011&state=UK&view=1&expand=&units=p&fy=2010&chart=F0-total&bar=0&stack=1&size=m&color=c&title=

Public spending since the second world war for context:

http://www.ukpublicspending.co.uk/downchart_ukgs.php?year=1940_2011&state=UK&view=1&expand=&units=p&fy=2010&chart=F0-total&bar=0&stack=1&size=m&color=c&title=

Thanks in part to the huge amounts of jobs that have gone off shore and who was responsible for that?

Who was responsible for the jobs being there in the first place?

Once big businesses realized that there was a source of cheap labour available and that could be exploited they started shift their operations overseas in double quick order and consequently increasing their bottom line by a few thousand percent. Prices for the products that they previously manufactured in their home countries didnt come down though.

Don't be ridiculous. Products are ridiculously cheap at the moment. Think you'd be able to buy a DVD player for £16 if they were made in this country?

Governments must take some blame for this state of affairs since they did little to stop this huge shift of jobs overseas.

There isn't anything governments could have done.

Anyway, once the middle class are reduced to low earnig peons then the world economy will collapse anyway. It's not the wealthy and certainly not the poor who keep the economy going is it?

It'll be the middle class in the BRIC countries that keep the world economy going.

Archived