Another gaff from U-Turn Dave

Mecky

Wonder what the response will be if there are riots in Saudi or UAE and British arms are used to subdue the populace.

I expect they will assume the weapons were part of the £20 billion arms deal the UK signed with Saudi in 2008. I don't think anything ordered this week will have got there yet.

Which arms are you up in arms about? Those that we sold since last month or those that were sold over the last sixty years, supporting British industry and education rather than those of another nation?

The real world is full of contradictions.

Myth.

Escaping the Subsidy Trap.

Why arms exports are bad for Britain.

This report, published by three leading UK security policy think-tanks,

explodes the myth that arms exports are of particular value to the British

economy and therefore deserving of unique support from government.

It concludes that UK Government subsidies to arms exporters, worth at least

£453m and possibly up to £936m a year, are based upon false economics.

Far from providing jobs, UK Government support for arms exports divert

investment away from more effective job-creating economic activity.

It is highly unlikely that arms exports either significantly offset domestic

procurement costs or make a positive contribution to Britain's overall

economic well-being. At a time when public spending is under pressure

the onus is on the Government to withdraw the subsidies and encourage

similar withdrawals in other countries.

The Subsidy Trap: British Government Financial Support for Arms Exports and the Defence Industry”, Paul Ingram, Oxford Research Group, 2001. The report conservatively estimates that each defence export job is annually subsidised by £4,200, and that over the UK defence industry as a whole, the annual subsidy paid by the taxpayer is £12,300 per job. According to Campaign Against Arms Trade, despite accounting for just 2% of UK exports, the arms trade is the most heavily subsidised sector in the UK economy apart from agriculture. UK taxpayers foot the bill for these subsidies, which amount to around £30 per taxpayer.

http://www.refugee-action.org.uk/information/challengingthemyths2.aspx

So Cameron is traipsing around dodgy regimes, flogging arms that may well be used to brutally suppress peaceful dissent, and we are subsidising the entire trade in misery and death.

I've not clicked on the link, but why is the word "u-turn" such a derogatory term in politics?

In science, and real life in general, being prepared to change one's mind in the light of new evidence is an admirable quality. In fact I would argue it is essential.

It seems to me that it's only politics and religion where the adherents and followers have to follow some script or be dismissed. Dangerous dogma both.

You might want to get you mom to help you before replying to posts in the future, but in answer to your question, there have been plenty incase you hadn't noticed.

Nice response there - you might want to avoid anything like intelligent thought in the future. Oh that's right you are. Use of u-turn Dave in the title implies that a u-turn has been made - I was simply asking where the u-turn in this situation is?

I've not clicked on the link, but why is the word "u-turn" such a derogatory term in politics?

In science, and real life in general, being prepared to change one's mind in the light of new evidence is an admirable quality. In fact I would argue it is essential.It seems to me that it's only politics and religion where the adherents and followers have to follow some script or be dismissed. Dangerous dogma both.

True. I'm always 'looking forward' to being proven wrong. It's a beautiful thing to change your mind, with the help of fact and logic. I'd actually trust a Politian who says straight up 'I was wrong, the opposite is right.' as long as it's not Dave.:)

Nice response there - you might want to avoid anything like intelligent thought in the future. Oh that's right you are. Use of u-turn Dave in the title implies that a u-turn has been made - I was simply asking where the u-turn in this situation is?

I think he means that didn't respond because he hasn't a clue.

Archived