Has anyone seen Pat Condell on youtube? ??

It's pointed out that modern medicine, scientific thought, astronomy, mathematics and poetry is inspired by Islamic teachings.

"It's not their religion!"

The Islamaphobes scream.

Ha ha ha ha!

Well, its not their religion that spawned those things is it?

Why are most Islamic countries around the world backward?

Besides, the claim you were challenging of Pat Condells was not that Islam has contributed nothing to mathematics or science or medicine, he claimed that Islam has contributed nothing to 'justice, tolerance, and human dignity' and you have still not been able to provide an appropriate example of something that islam has contributed to those fields.

The concept of chivalry is one example of the positive influence Islam has had on Western thought.

The Mughal dynasty and the Ummayids in Spain are both good examples of successful tolerant liberal Government, based on Islamic principles. The religious harmony in the holy land for the bulk of the last thousand years is another example of their tolerance towards other belief systems.

Justice and Tolerance:

ISLAMIC LAW & JURISPRUDENCE

The Dignity of Man: An Islamic Perspective

MOHAMMAD HASHIM KAMALI

The Dignity of Man: An Islamic Perspective provides the most detailed study to date on the subject of the dignity of man in Islam. This book goes a long way towards exploring an alternative to Western concepts of human rights. The Dignity of Man: An Islamic Perspective is part of a series of studies on fundamental rights and liberties in Islam.

Freedom, Equality and Justice in Islam

MOHAMMAD HASHIM KAMALI

In Freedom, Equality and Justice in Islam, M H Kamali presents the reader with an analysis of the three concepts of freedom, equality and justice from an Islamic point of view and their manifestations in the religious, social, legal and political fields. Companion volume to The Dignity of Man and Freedom of Expression in Islam.

Freedom of Expression in Islam

MOHAMMAD HASHIM KAMALI

In recent years the subject of freedom of expression has become a topic of heated debate. Freedom of Expression in Islam offers the first and only detailed presentation in English of freedom of expression from both the legal and moral perspectives of Islam. Companion volume to The Dignity of Man and Freedom, Equality and Justice in Islam.

The Right to Life, Security, Privacy and Ownership in Islam

Mohammad H Kamali

A person’s right to life, personal security, privacy, and ownership are the most basic of all the fundamental rights and liberties and are of concern to all legal systems and traditions. To address them side by side with one another, as is attempted in the present volume, is reflective of their natural priority and significance. These rights are simultaneously the most vulnerable to aggression and abuse.

Islamic Commercial Law: An Analysis of Futures and Options

MOHAMMAD HASHIM KAMALI

Futures and options are a completely new phenomenon which has no parallel in Islamic commercial law. This work focuses on options and futures as trading tools and explores their validity from an Islamic point of view.

Principles of Islamic Jurisprudence

MOHAMMAD HASHIM KAMALI

This third edition of the best-selling title Principles of Islamic Jurisprudence has been completely revised and substantially enlarged. In this work, Prof Kamali offers us the first detailed presentation available in English of the theory of Muslim law (usul al-fiqh). Written as a university textbook, Principles of Islamic Jurisprudence is an essential reference work not only for students of Islamic law, but also for anyone with an interest in Muslim society or in issues of comparative jurisprudence.

Language and the Interpretation of Islamic Law

Sukrija Husejn Ramic

One of the most important branches of principles of Islamic jurisprudence (usul al-fiqh) is the study of the usage of language. Language and the Interpretation of Islamic Law is the first work to appear in English dealing with this important aspect of Islamic law.

Al-Shafi'i’s Risala

Treatise on the Foundations of Islamic Jurisprudence

Translated by: MAJID KHADDURI

Written in the second Islamic century by al-Imam al-Shafi'i (d. 204AH/ 820AD), the founder of one of the four Sunni schools of law, this important work gives the fundamental principles of Islamic jurisprudence, and its influence continues to the present day.

On Schacht’s Origins of Muhammadan Jurisprudence

MUHAMMAD M. AL-AZAMI

This in-depth study presents a detailed analysis and critique of the classic Western work on the origins of Islamic law, Schacht’s Origins of Muhammadan Jurisprudence. Azami’s work examines the sources used by Schacht and exposes fundamental flaws in Schacht’s methodology. This book is an important contribution to Islamic legal studies from an Islamic perspective.

Equity and Fairness in Islam

MOHAMMAD H KAMALI

First work in the English language to deal specifically with the subjects of equity and fairness in Islamic law. Origins, nature and different legal perspectives on the concept of istihsan, followed by definition and examples of its applications, including issues related to Islamic banking, sale transactions, charitable endowments, pensions funds and others.

Point me to an Islamic country that embraces any of this.

Islamic countries are harsh places. "Moderate" Muslims are the ones in non Islamic, democratic countries.

I screamed nothing, I linked to university research that said occupied lands had more to do with suicide attacks than religion. I never said religion had nothing to do with it, please don't misrepresent what I said. Again.
Fair enough, I missed that, it's so hard to wade through all of your nonsense to get to the tiny bits of sense that may be contained within. So just to be clear, are you willing to concede that Islamic terrorists are motivated significantly (NB, I'm not saying entirely, or even mostly) by their faith?

The book I linked to referred to Islamic cultural and scientific contributions. You remember, the ones you claimed didn't exist? I never made the claim these schools of study were "invented" by muslims, again that's something you've plucked out of thin air. You made a claim, I demonstrated it was wrong.
I have made no such claim. You appear to be lying about me again.

Patt Condell has apparently made a different claim, which I only know about by the way because you quoted him earlier. Specifically that Islam has contributed nothing to 'justice, tolerance, and human dignity'. Those are quite different claims as I have already pointed out to you.

I have not repeated that claim, I have merely asked you to give an example of something that Islam has contributed to 'justice, tolerance, and human dignity' because I can't think of anything, and neither can you apparently. I have not made any absolute or even general claims at all either way.

As so often, you launch personal attacks against anyone who speaks up for religion, you are incapable of discussing the subject like an adult and no doubt you will resort to your old favourite allegations of sexual abuse.

Once again you are being a massive hypocrite. This entire paragraph is nought but a personal attack on me. As for 'my favorite' allegation': That is something that I said only once, ever, which was clearly not true, I even said as much myself straight away at the time, and only used it to make a point that it's not nice to be lied about, because at the time you were lying about me, rather a lot. Describing it as an allegation, as if it was written in seriousness, is another example of you lying about me. You really don't have very high standards when it comes to honesty do you? That's about 3 or 4 in one post!

Calm down or debate rationally, your choice.
I am entirely calm and rational. I'm not the one who needs to make things bold and increase the size of my text like I'm shouting.

Not in this thread. Not the case with the September 11th attackers, which is where the point arose. More dishonesty.
Google Mohammed Siddique Khan, the quote is not hard to find, and has been reproduced several times on this forum, if not this thread.

Justice and Tolerance:

ISLAMIC LAW & JURISPRUDENCE

The Dignity of Man: An Islamic Perspective

MOHAMMAD HASHIM KAMALI

The Dignity of Man: An Islamic Perspective provides the most detailed study to date on the subject of the dignity of man in Islam. This book goes a long way towards exploring an alternative to Western concepts of human rights. The Dignity of Man: An Islamic Perspective is part of a series of studies on fundamental rights and liberties in Islam.

Freedom, Equality and Justice in Islam

MOHAMMAD HASHIM KAMALI

In Freedom, Equality and Justice in Islam, M H Kamali presents the reader with an analysis of the three concepts of freedom, equality and justice from an Islamic point of view and their manifestations in the religious, social, legal and political fields. Companion volume to The Dignity of Man and Freedom of Expression in Islam.

Freedom of Expression in Islam

MOHAMMAD HASHIM KAMALI

In recent years the subject of freedom of expression has become a topic of heated debate. Freedom of Expression in Islam offers the first and only detailed presentation in English of freedom of expression from both the legal and moral perspectives of Islam. Companion volume to The Dignity of Man and Freedom, Equality and Justice in Islam.

The Right to Life, Security, Privacy and Ownership in Islam

Mohammad H Kamali

A person’s right to life, personal security, privacy, and ownership are the most basic of all the fundamental rights and liberties and are of concern to all legal systems and traditions. To address them side by side with one another, as is attempted in the present volume, is reflective of their natural priority and significance. These rights are simultaneously the most vulnerable to aggression and abuse.

Islamic Commercial Law: An Analysis of Futures and Options

MOHAMMAD HASHIM KAMALI

Futures and options are a completely new phenomenon which has no parallel in Islamic commercial law. This work focuses on options and futures as trading tools and explores their validity from an Islamic point of view.

Principles of Islamic Jurisprudence

MOHAMMAD HASHIM KAMALI

This third edition of the best-selling title Principles of Islamic Jurisprudence has been completely revised and substantially enlarged. In this work, Prof Kamali offers us the first detailed presentation available in English of the theory of Muslim law (usul al-fiqh). Written as a university textbook, Principles of Islamic Jurisprudence is an essential reference work not only for students of Islamic law, but also for anyone with an interest in Muslim society or in issues of comparative jurisprudence.

Language and the Interpretation of Islamic Law

Sukrija Husejn Ramic

One of the most important branches of principles of Islamic jurisprudence (usul al-fiqh) is the study of the usage of language. Language and the Interpretation of Islamic Law is the first work to appear in English dealing with this important aspect of Islamic law.

Al-Shafi'i’s Risala

Treatise on the Foundations of Islamic Jurisprudence

Translated by: MAJID KHADDURI

Written in the second Islamic century by al-Imam al-Shafi'i (d. 204AH/ 820AD), the founder of one of the four Sunni schools of law, this important work gives the fundamental principles of Islamic jurisprudence, and its influence continues to the present day.

On Schacht’s Origins of Muhammadan Jurisprudence

MUHAMMAD M. AL-AZAMI

This in-depth study presents a detailed analysis and critique of the classic Western work on the origins of Islamic law, Schacht’s Origins of Muhammadan Jurisprudence. Azami’s work examines the sources used by Schacht and exposes fundamental flaws in Schacht’s methodology. This book is an important contribution to Islamic legal studies from an Islamic perspective.

Equity and Fairness in Islam

MOHAMMAD H KAMALI

First work in the English language to deal specifically with the subjects of equity and fairness in Islamic law. Origins, nature and different legal perspectives on the concept of istihsan, followed by definition and examples of its applications, including issues related to Islamic banking, sale transactions, charitable endowments, pensions funds and others.[/QUOTE]

Point me to an Islamic country that embraces any of this.

The world's most populous muslim country, Indonesia.

Modern Muslim societies face the challenge of reapplying shari’ah (Islamic jurispru-

dence) and other traditional concepts in contexts that have changed markedly from

those that existed during its original implementation.

• The relationship between shari’ah, justice, and sustainable plural democracy must be

examined objectively.

• Instead of voicing alarmist condemnations of shari’ah, Westerners should pay

close attention to the lively debate taking place within Muslim societies on law

and morality.

• In Aceh, Indonesia, which has been plagued by prolonged violence and abuse of

human rights, ulama (Islamic scholars) feel an urgent need to respond to the chal-

lenges of the global information age while also upholding the Prophet Mohammed’s

legacy. They have embraced a new peace education program for religious schools

because they view peace as central to Islam.

Archived