Gadaffi to block oil export

And they get the hydrogen from where?

Two possible sources:

1. Steam reforming from a hydrocarbon fuel (usually methane). - Extract the Hydrogen, burn it in a fuel cell. Unfortunately, large amounts of CO2 are given off, so that's not a particularly 'green'way of making it.

2. Hydrolise water. That uses a lot of power, so use a small nuclear generator to provide the electricity for the hydrolysis.

Many mountains in Wath then:huh:

Sandygate is a fair pull but, since I'm in Jakarta, bit unsure why it would be important.

I use the bike because it's cheap, traffic here is ruddy terrible and I like to get out and about here a road bike could not.

On a run of a few KM, I'm usually faster than the cars because they get stuck in jams.

On a run of a few KM, I'm usually faster than the cars because they get stuck in jams.

On Sunday afternoons here (when all the tourists are heading home) I'm usually faster taking my dogs for a walk [even allowing for the fact that there are so many bushes which require an acute nasal inspection before they pee on them] than the traffic 'Heading North'. :hihi:

If Gaddafi blocks oil exports what does he think the country will survive on? Or rather the little bit of Libya that he remains in control of.

He doesn't even control the part of the country where most of the oil comes from.

He is utterly mad.

He's probably been mad for longer than many of this forum have been mewling and puking. [starts at a very early age]

Fortunately, it appears that neither the US nor the UK (both of whom are usually hated in that part of the world - but Ben'i el Nasr is better than Ben'i el Kalb ;)) are going to get sucked into their civil war.

Leave them to sort it out amongst themselves.

AFAIK, There is no recorded case in human history in which outsiders have settled a civil war.

I might be wrong (I often am.) Does anybody on this forum know of an instance where that has been the case?

Rupert Baehr----

I think you 're right-----people interfering in civil wars do so at their peril ! However, other forces, I think, can influence the outcome of a civil war. In the Spanish Civil War, Franco received a lot of very ' professional ' aid from Hitler & Mussolini, whereas the Left 's help to the Republicans was often amateurish and weakened by civil strife within its own ranks.

Korean War ? Vietnam ? 'Settled', or 'Outcome Influenced By'-----a very fine judgement ! As you said, however------the less we have to do with Libya....et al...., the happier we shall be !

Two possible sources:

1. Steam reforming from a hydrocarbon fuel (usually methane). - Extract the Hydrogen, burn it in a fuel cell. Unfortunately, large amounts of CO2 are given off, so that's not a particularly 'green'way of making it.

2. Hydrolise water. That uses a lot of power, so use a small nuclear generator to provide the electricity for the hydrolysis.

1. is a waste of time really as you may as well have burned the methane in the vehicle in the first place as it would have been cheaper, more efficient and less poluting.

2. Its a nice thought but as we generate about 70% of our electricity from natural gas, it would be more cost effective to move electricity production away from gas and use that in vehicles.

The big problem with hydrogen as a fuel for road vehicles is the high pressure required to liquify it. So in effect you are driving around with a high pressure bomb on board.

Actually in the 1940s Germany produced much of its petrol from coal. South Africa did the same during the sanctions. It seems like a far more simple solution to any oil crisis than running vehicles on hydrogen.

Then of course there is ethanol that can be produced from anything that will ferment. There is potentially a tankfull in your green bin and a months supply in the skip outside Tesco right now.

I'm just trying to imagine a hydrogen fuelled Jumbo Jet taking off.

AFAIK, There is no recorded case in human history in which outsiders have settled a civil war.

I might be wrong (I often am.) Does anybody on this forum know of an instance where that has been the case?

Germany in Spain 1938?

2. Its a nice thought but as we generate about 70% of our electricity from natural gas, it would be more cost effective to move electricity production away from gas and use that in vehicles.

It is perfectly possible though. Hydrogen is massively abundant. Releasing it from water is simplicity itself. The problem is in using a sensible source of electricity to perform the electrolysis.

Solar power, or nuclear power would appear to be the way forward.

If fuel cell technology doesn't take off, we will be left with battery exchange stations. Those batteries still need charging, so the problem remains the same really.

The big problem with hydrogen as a fuel for road vehicles is the high pressure required to liquify it. So in effect you are driving around with a high pressure bomb on board.

You have seen a petrol car explode, haven't you:)

Archived