Gadaffi to block oil export

It is perfectly possible though. Hydrogen is massively abundant. Releasing it from water is simplicity itself. The problem is in using a sensible source of electricity to perform the electrolysis.

Solar power, or nuclear power would appear to be the way forward.

Yes its very simple. However it would require a windfarm or a solar panel larger than the country to provide anything like the amount of power that would be required. Blotting out the sun sort of stunts the growth of agricultural crops, so we would probably need to find an alternative to eating as well.

You have seen a petrol car explode, haven't you:)

I'm just trying to imagine the size of hydrogen tank that would be required at a town centre filling station.

You have seen a hydrogen tank explode, haven't you:)

Incidentally a pressure of 800 bar is required to liquify hydrogen. That's 12,000 psi to you and me. I think a filling station blowing up in Sheffield would probably take Rotherham with it as well.

UpinWath,

Well, if we define Civil War as , ' people from the same country, of the same stock.....etc.....fighting each other, ' then, yes, there was a civil war in Vietnam. It was complicated by, first, the French being there [ Dien Bien Phu 1954 ? ] and then American

' advisors ' arriving after the French left.

Basically, the North were fighting the Americans and their southern compatriots, the South were fighting the North who were getting some limited material aid from China.

So, the war WAS influenced by outside forces but I suppose was hardly settled by outside forces------at least the Americans must have been a bit disappointed by the eventual outcome, after all their 'aid'......!!

Yes its very simple. However it would require a windfarm or a solar panel larger than the country to provide anything like the amount of power that would be required. Blotting out the sun sort of stunts the growth of agricultural crops, so we would probably need to find an alternative to eating as well.

If we go down the biodiesel route, we will certainly need an alternative to eating.

PV technology is on the march though. Who knows how big (or small) a PV array will be in 10 years time. What is certainly beyond doubt is the fact that plenty of energy arrives here from the sun. We just don't use it at present.

I'm just trying to imagine the size of hydrogen tank that would be required at a town centre filling station.

You have seen a hydrogen tank explode, haven't you:)

Incidentally a pressure of 800 bar is required to liquify hydrogen. That's 12,000 psi to you and me. I think a filling station blowing up in Sheffield would probably take Rotherham with it as well.

Indeed, the pressurising of hydrogen is an issue. BMW and Honda seem to consider it worth pursuing though. There are a number of hydrogen cars in production at the moment.

Hydrogen filling stations look remarkably normal though.. To date, hydrogen cars have killed fewer people than petrol ones.

If we go down the biodiesel route, we will certainly need an alternative to eating.

PV technology is on the march though. Who knows how big (or small) a PV array will be in 10 years time. What is certainly beyond doubt is the fact that plenty of energy arrives here from the sun. We just don't use it at present.

Indeed, the pressurising of hydrogen is an issue. BMW and Honda seem to consider it worth pursuing though. There are a number of hydrogen cars in production at the moment.

Hydrogen filling stations look remarkably normal though.. To date, hydrogen cars have killed fewer people than petrol ones.

You might want to check out these links.

On January 8, 2007, a hydrogen explosion at the Muskingum River Power Plant’s 585-MW coal-fired supercritical Unit 5 caused one fatality, injuries to 10 other people, and significant damage to several buildings. The explosion occurred during a routine delivery of hydrogen when a hydrogen relief device failed, which allowed the contents of the hydrogen tank to escape and be ignited by an unknown source

http://www.powermag.com/o_and_m/Lessons-Learned-from-a-Hydrogen-Explosion_1857.html

Monroe County’s (NY) Green Fuel Station on Scottsville Road experienced the explosion of two tanks filled with hydrogen.

Read more: http://www.greenoptimistic.com/2010/08/28/hydrogen-tank-explosion-monroe-county/#ixzz1FB6MxEQp

Archived