Unions. Is there any point?

Probably hasnt made the news at your end but been in the headlines here for several days now, thousands protesting in the state capital. This isn't just Wisconsin's fight. If this Son of a <removed> Walker gets his way every other Republican State governor will be doing the same thing.

Finally got round to reading Sunday's Observer (lefty, PC, lentil wearing, sandal kissing newspaper) tonight and there was an article about Wisconsin.

Genuine question.

I got the details of the retail union and gave them a ring to see if they could help me with a work problem.

All they can do is advise, they cant come with me and represent me, help me in any meaningful way but they are more than happy to take my money.

So the question is, is there any point to being in a union?

Ill keep it simple.

Is there one?

:)

I think you already know the answer to your question.

You weren't a member of a Union, but you need help, so you are looking to join one.

And you wonder why they won't represent you? Try that trick with an insurance company and see how far it gets you. (For the record, I think that there is a point to having insurance... and to being in a Union.)

much as I love the place, much of the United States government has made a point over the decades, and I guess now centuries, to militantly oppose trade unions, to an extent unimaginable in Europe. It's one of the features of the United States.

The Republicans traditionally have opposed trade unions but not so the Democrats. In fact the AFL is affiliated with the Democrat party just as the UK trade unions are with the Labour party.

Much of what is going on in the UK over privatizing public sector jobs is happening here also. The unions have a tough fight ahead of them and especially if some union busting frothing at the mouth loony like Sarah Palin gets into the White House in 2012.

There are enough people who arent even modestly well off daft enough to vote for her

The Republicans traditionally have opposed trade unions but not so the Democrats. In fact the AFL is affiliated with the Democrat party just as the UK trade unions are with the Labour party.

Indeed. As you can plainly see from today's pronouncements by the President. He needs the Unions. big time.

Indeed. As you can plainly see from today's pronouncements by the President. He needs the Unions. big time.

Well the unions got our new Democrat state governor into office last November thank god.

His opponent was the former CEO of E-Bay, a Republican billionairess who spent 178 million dollars of her own money during her campaign to become governor when Arnold the Terminator's two terms were up.

She made no secret of her agenda to break the public workers unions and was all gung ho about clamping down on illegal immigrants.

However her house maid came forward and admitted that she was an illegal and claimed that her employer knew this.

Her campaign went into a nose dive after that :hihi:

Genuine question.

I got the details of the retail union and gave them a ring to see if they could help me with a work problem.

All they can do is advise, they cant come with me and represent me, help me in any meaningful way but they are more than happy to take my money.

Most unions will provide a union rep to assist in representation for a dismissal hearing, inquiry, tribunal and similar - but usually only after a minimum period of union membership.

Unions do this to stop folk from just joining a union simply to take advantage of their services. After all, thousands of workers pay their monthly union subs in case they ever need representation from their union. Unions simply couldn't afford these expensive services if you could just instantly join and gain access to all their services.

Genuine question Jew Boy - how long have you've been in your job before deciding to join a union (or did you only get round to it when your work problem arose)?

Most unions will provide a union rep to assist in representation for a dismissal hearing, inquiry, tribunal and similar - but usually only after a minimum period of union membership.

Unions do this to stop folk from just joining a union simply to take advantage of their services. After all, thousands of workers pay their monthly union subs in case they ever need representation from their union. Unions simply couldn't afford these expensive services if you could just instantly join and gain access to all their services.

Genuine question Jew Boy - how long have you've been in your job before deciding to join a union (or did you only get round to it when your work problem arose)?

Community Union does provide representation as soon as you join.

USDAW due to the nature of the business in which their members are employed has never had the clout and muscle that the unions involved in wealth generating businesses have had.

Genuine question.

As redrobbo said, could be as you're not a paid up member. So many people decide to 'save' the few quid of paying to be in a union, I guess no one would join if they got full rights without previous membership. I think it's great for you, though, that they will advise you.

Archived