Arbourthorne estate

the blues

Lived here 10 years, neighbours are quiet, never had any trouble. People will tell you its rough, but theyve never lived here, and most of them are just going on stories, not experience. Its like any other estate, theres good people and theres bad. But the bad ones dont seem to **** on their own doorstep.

Lived here 10 years, neighbours are quiet, never had any trouble. People will tell you its rough, but theyve never lived here, and most of them are just going on stories, not experience. Its like any other estate, theres good people and theres bad. But the bad ones dont seem to **** on their own doorstep.

Very very true. Why would one of the many 'arbour' criminals burgle a local house when in 15 minutes they can be in Norton, Greenhill, Totley, Dore etc.

People have to live to their means, as a few on the thread have said, I would wish any nice family/persons all the luck in the world when buying new houses wherever.

However, it does make my chuckle when people come on trying to convince, justify others that Arbourthorne, and other certain area's are nice places to live.

Estates that are predominately council run are by their very nature more

depraved. Doesn't mean that all council tenants are the same though.

:shakes: If you have to ask that, you really dont want to know the answer, believe me.

How about, a couple of weeks ago a man walks into an arcade at Manor Top with a can full of petrol, pours it all over the shop with the staff inside, says 'you wont be coming to work tomorrow' and then puts a match in it. Then walks out again.:loopy:

Stuff like that happens so often round there that this didn't even make the national news. 'nuff said.

YOUR WRONG. I dont live there but your wrong anyway. 1. It wasnt an arcade it was a bookmakers 2. Please give me one instance of this happening at any other time as you say stuff like this happens all the time when in reality it doesnt. 3. It doesnt make the national news because there nothing out of the ordinary that happens there.

I had a house on Arbourthorne, before I moved into this property.

I liked the house immensely. it was one of the Finnegans, which are scheduled for demolition.

I would have been happy to stay there, but for being unable to manage, safely, inside the house.

I was forced to move because the council would not adapt the house to my needs (stair-lift, shower, level access). At the time, my father lived a matter of yards from me. My sister lived about 600 yards away. my other sister had a direct bus stop half a mile from me.

I had facilities nearby:- doctors, shops, supertram, accessible buses on my route (A rarity 7 years ago) and a support network.

It was well insulated, and economical to heat, the internal layout was excellent with two lovely big bedrooms.

it was classed as a prefab, and only had an anticipated lifespan of 10 years when it was built in the mid sixties, but was still very good, almost forty years on.

My neighbours were decent, we just had a bit of bother with the school kids congregating nearby, playing truant from the school.

I was never burgled, just suffered three occasions of car-crime. (one theft, and two break-ins, one of which was when my wheelchair was stolen from the car).

The vast majority of people in arbourthorne are thoroughly decent people, whats happening is that people from outside of arbourthorne are coming in, tearing the place up, throwing litter on the floor, spraying graffiti on the walls and just be generally antisocial, and then they leave and go back to where they came from such as Stannington and Fulwood; then the thoroughy decent people of arbourthorne are left scratching their heads, wondering why outsiders do this to their estate.

Archived