Broken collarbone

To be honest, not that bad in my experience. Like all breaks the initial swelling will make the shoulder immobile. Unless you have a dislocation of the clavicle A&E probably wont even do anything more than strap your arm up. You will have bruising and swelling around the area for a couple of weeks.

If the bone is twisted or out of angle then it may need a pin. Expect to get some mobility back in 2 to 3 weeks if you are healthy.

However, secondary problems may be pluracy (inflammation of the lung lining) causing breathing difficulties and also muscular pain from holding your arm immobile.

I am not a doctor, if you suspect a fracture of the clavicle you MUST consult a doctor.

I broke on November the 21st, a pretty bad one very near the arm joint.

As long as you keep it still doesnt hurt too much, in bed and in the mornings is when it hurt the most.

Took me about two weeks before I had any mobility.

Still have a massive lump of bone sticking out of my shoulder now and a little pain when I sleep on it.

In answer to the original question, it hurts like any bone break 6/10

When my husband broke is along the top between arm and neck it was the worst pain he had ever had and the only way he could get any relief was to walk about and he slept in the chair for the first week and even after 6 years still gets pain when sleeping and some times when moving.

God I remember braking my collarbone I was 19 at the time when over the handlebars of a motorbike in hutcliffewoods Pain was undeliverable Ive broke just about every bone in the past but that is the most painful of all there is nothing they can do apart from put it in a sling and give you pain killers I went for a walk one day some kids through a snow ball at me nearly past out with pain. worst part is your arm pit starts getting smelly lifting your arm up to wash it is so painful.

Archived