How Face blind are you?

Digsy

I'm on 96%

I think that it really depends on how much practice you get at recognising people in your daily life though. It doesn't surprise me that Babooshka got 100% or that I scored highly because those of us who do a lot of public facing work get lots of practice at telling people apart and working out who we need to remember, who asked us to do something or which person you need to take something to.

I think that most people who work in restaurants, bars, or who are reps or the like would be well above average.

I think it's the people who are good at such things that tend to end up in roles such as you describe, not that people in such roles get practice and so get better at it.

I used to be a teacher and a trainer, and I always have been hopeless at faces. I walked past my own parents once.

I got 69 out of 72, 96%, which did surprise me as I thought I wasn't very good at faces. Mind you I often see a face I know, without having the foggiest idea of how I know them or where from, and it is never linked to a name!

I am good at knowing my way around places I have only visited once before though.

Do you sometimes have trouble finding your way around new places Digsy? Oliver Sack's new book 'The Mind's Eye' has a chapter on face blindness and he mentions that the two often go hand in hand. It's interesting how a fleeting shot of a street in Sheffield can be on TV and I know immediately that I know it even before I can work out where it is. Bit like faces!

I do if I don't know the area, normally if I know I'm going somewhere I have to make sure beforehand that I know precisely where it is and how to get to it.

Even after looking up how to get to a place I can have problems with my bearings.

I once worked with some cable engineers and we were coming back from Nottingham, I fell asleep in the back of the van and instead of dropping me off where they normally dropped me off, they woke me up abruptly, and nearly threw me out of the van, they help my half dazed ass up and out of the van as quickly as they could because they were dropping me off on sheaf street facing the Gritty wall opposite ponds forge, for a few minutes I had absolutely no idea where I was despite the fact I was staring at the bus station.

It wasn't until I walked across to the bus station and saw Park Hill behind me that I got my bearings.

Archived