Owning a bicycle

Radomu, you could do worse than the Courier range of bikes that Edinburgh Cycles (off London Road) do. Personally though I'd tend towards a mountain bike with Sheffield beautifully situated on the edge of the Peak District and summer on the way. It's worth looking at the classifieds on here to pick up a bike.

Yeah, biking in the countryside sounds like a great weekend :D

You want to get a car instead.

There are hills, the weather is bad, the roads are bad.

I can't remember the last day when there was no rain.

That's a terrible attitude dude! What happens when you get wet? Do you shrink? :hihi:

I have a shirt and tie office job and I bike every day. I am a bike-nut though. I do have a car but the idea of getting it out every day just to drive 5 miles to work and back seems dumb to me. Plus Sheffield has great mountain biking and I live next to Bole-Hills dirt jump track. A car is just a motorised arm-chair

Even getting wet is ok. On a bike, or walking, you get to appreciate the change in the seasons, you interact with people (even if it is just to shout at them for walking in the cycle path while entranced by their i-phones!) and you feel fitter.

I guess it's not for everyone though.

Yeah, I imagine the repatriation fees would be a killer :)

Seriously though, I cycle mostly and so far I have avoided becoming a car magnet.

It seems like every aspect of Britain makes it a very hard country to live if you have a car. While I have a drivers' license that I got last year, I don't see much point in driving.

i cycle all around Hoyland, wentworth chapletown. only started in october last year aged 40+. wish i started years ago feel so much healthier, beer belly almost gone but still drinking beer. no change to diet but loosing wieght. doing around 50 miles a week and managed every hill. hope to be commuting to work soon 22 mile round trip.

spend as much as you can afford on a good bike, its so much more enjoyable to ride, good lights, bright clothing. oh and an airzounds horn.

I would hate to think of my son cycling in Sheffield in the centre, it is far too dangerous on the roads here (He has got a bike in Tokyo, but hopefully it is safer there). Plus your bike is very likely to vanish while you are in a lecture. It would be nice for going out into Derbyshire for days out though.

In my opinion, you would be better looking for accommodation along the tram route, you can get a yearly student ticket for £265 to use on any stagecoach tram or bus, or with your student card it is only 50p per journey on the bus.

http://www.supertram.com/unirider.html

Archived