Owning a bicycle

I would hate to think of my son cycling in Sheffield in the centre, it is far too dangerous on the roads here (He has got a bike in Tokyo, but hopefully it is safer there). Plus your bike is very likely to vanish while you are in a lecture. It would be nice for going out into Derbyshire for days out though.

In my opinion, you would be better looking for accommodation along the tram route, you can get a yearly student ticket for £265 to use on any stagecoach tram or bus, or with your student card it is only 50p per journey on the bus.

http://www.supertram.com/unirider.html

Cycling in sheffield centre you hardly ever have to go on the road, it is possible to take cycle paths most of the way round the centre.

spend as much as you can afford on a good bike, its so much more enjoyable to ride, good lights, bright clothing. oh and an airzounds horn.

I know what you mean here; I bought a bike recently for £120(it had been reduced from £180 apparently) and I ride to work on it everyday just fine.

The other day though I was looking at a colegues bike, I picked it up and it felt so much more lighter than mine, and I had to wonder weather I would benifit from a lighter bike, obviously carrying a lighter bike would be easier, but would it be an easier/better ride ?

I would hate to think of my son cycling in Sheffield in the centre, it is far too dangerous on the roads here (He has got a bike in Tokyo, but hopefully it is safer there). Plus your bike is very likely to vanish while you are in a lecture. It would be nice for going out into Derbyshire for days out though.

In my opinion, you would be better looking for accommodation along the tram route, you can get a yearly student ticket for £265 to use on any stagecoach tram or bus, or with your student card it is only 50p per journey on the bus.

http://www.supertram.com/unirider.html

I've biked in Tokyo all my life and he'll be fine.

A yearly student ticket? Such things exist? Amazing, thanks for the info

Radomu.

If you have any interest at all in cycling-go for it mate. I have a car (also a motor cycle license) but the humble bicycle provides imense pleasure. Go at your own steady pace-no need to go with the pace of traffic (like in a car for example). Stop and leave your bicycle virtually anywhere-just carry a small chain & padlock in your rucksack.

Ride steadily on the pavements & through the underpasses. Sample the paths along the UK canals & rivers at leisure, coming off at certain points in towns and villiages along the way for refreshements, or a quiet drink at a country pub.

When rain is forcast, just take alternative transport.Double the pleasure, get a cycling friend to go with at weekends in the warmer weather.

Note: in South Yorkshire at least, you can pick basic second hand mountain bikes up for £20 or less. I`ve bought several.

What? Why? :huh:

All my British friends that live here in Tokyo keep telling me that returning to Japan to drive is like being "emancipated".

Oil prices are lower, roads are generally smoother (you barely see any potholes), and there are less regulations and taxes

Archived