Owning a bicycle

I know what you mean here; I bought a bike recently for £120(it had been reduced from £180 apparently) and I ride to work on it everyday just fine.

The other day though I was looking at a colegues bike, I picked it up and it felt so much more lighter than mine, and I had to wonder weather I would benifit from a lighter bike, obviously carrying a lighter bike would be easier, but would it be an easier/better ride ?

Look at it in a positive light. A heavier bike will get you fitter mile for mile!

Radomu.

If you have any interest at all in cycling-go for it mate. I have a car (also a motor cycle license) but the humble bicycle provides imense pleasure. Go at your own steady pace-no need to go with the pace of traffic (like in a car for example). Stop and leave your bicycle virtually anywhere-just carry a small chain & padlock in your rucksack.

Ride steadily on the pavements & through the underpasses. Sample the paths along the UK canals & rivers at leisure, coming off at certain points in towns and villiages along the way for refreshements, or a quiet drink at a country pub.

When rain is forcast, just take alternative transport.Double the pleasure, get a cycling friend to go with at weekends in the warmer weather.

Note: in South Yorkshire at least, you can pick basic second hand mountain bikes up for £20 or less. I`ve bought several.

This will only suffice for a cheap bike or a bike that you can store in a lockable area. If you have a decent bike you need at least one D-lock around the University. The bike thieves visit on a daily basis! :rant:

Look at it in a positive light. A heavier bike will get you fitter mile for mile!

Also, i discussed the idea of buying a lightweight mountain bike with the owner of a cycle shop. He said "you will only notice a marginal difference, it is down to how fit you are, that`s what make the difference"

This will only suffice for a cheap bike or a bike that you can store in a lockable area. If you have a decent bike you need at least one D-lock around the University. The bike thieves visit on a daily basis! :rant:

If someone want to steal something or burgle some place, trust me they will,regardless.

Originally Posted by mart

Note: in South Yorkshire at least, you can pick basic second hand mountain bikes up for £20 or less. I`ve bought several.

If someone want to steal something or burgle some place, trust me they will,regardless.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm :suspect:

The first thing I was asked when I reported my bike stolen was did it have a D-lock. The thieves go for everything else first. They carry bolt cutters around with them (my boyf nearly caught one and he saw the bolt cutters) it takes a few seconds to get through a chain.

They tried sawing through my cheap D-lock and failed miserably!

Buy a D-lock!!!

The first thing I was asked when I reported my bike stolen was did it have a D-lock. The thieves go for everything else first. They carry bolt cutters around with them (my boyf nearly caught one and he saw the bolt cutters) it takes a few seconds to get through a chain.

They tried sawing through my cheap D-lock and failed miserably!

Buy a D-lock!!!

If i bought a D-lock for the type of bikes i use, the lock would probably cost more than the bike. As you say, a chain is ok for a cheap bike.

Archived