Do you get ashamed sometimes of your yorkshire accent

:o Sheffield is considered quite 'posh' compared to Barnsley! Although, both in yorkshire. Its amazing the banter an accent can cause. Dee-daa/Dingle, all that.

I'm proud of my accent. I dont think it says anything about me, as a person, it just says im from yorkshire.

Youtube search 'Interview Millen Eve Yorkshire'... Now, she, is a proper little flower! :)

Im not ashamed of my Yorkshire accent but I do have to tone it down and slow down the speed when talking to overseas customers.

As an antique dealer I converse with a lot of Americans and they love the Yorkshire dialect but spoken at a normal Sheffield speed they find it hard to catch a lot of whats said, to speak slow and correctly doesnt half sound weird coming from a Yorkshireman.

I totally agree with you but not just about overseas people. Myself and my brother are both Sheffield lads. We are both builders (joiners), and we both grew up in the same household.

We should sound the same right?. Nope. Not at all.

When i left school i went to work in a shop for a few years to help me through college. My brother went to work for the council.

One of the first things my new manager told me was to not let the 'manor defence mechanism' drop down every time i got flustered. The Manor defence mechanism was the line i would cross whenever i was out of my comfort zone. It was the time i would swap from saying 'the' and they' and replace them with 'thi' and 'thar'.

He forced me out of my comfort zone to actually start pronouncing words. After a time it was second nature.

These days it is blindingly obvious. If working down south or in Scotland there are times i have to literally translate what my brother has said.

My accent is still as broad as anyone you will ever meet. I just pronounce words slower at times depending on who i am talking to. My brother calls it my telephone voice :roll:

:o Sheffield is considered quite 'posh' compared to Barnsley! Although, both in yorkshire. Its amazing the banter an accent can cause. Dee-daa/Dingle, all that.

I'm proud of my accent. I dont think it says anything about me, as a person, it just says im from yorkshire.

Youtube search 'Interview Millen Eve Yorkshire'... Now, she, is a proper little flower! :)

Tell me about it. I worked on some bard conversions near Chesterfield a few years ago and the owner of the company took the micky out of me for being a 'thee thar' from Sheffield. He said he was a 'dee daar'.

I had never even heard of the difference until then. I thought we all sounded the same :confused:

Southerners think that anyone north of the Watford Gap keeps ferrets n whippets (only messin!)

I've printed a canvas with Sheffield 'speak' on it, it's on our bedroom wall and I'm taking it with us when we move. Tried to upload a pic but won't work:(

I have also created artwork of Sheffield landmarks past and present. Hole In The Road, Roxy's, Tinsley Towers, Wedding Cake, Cheese Grater etc. I will try and put pics on here when I can fathom how the chuffing thing works!

Don't get me started on the Watford Gap, google wont tell me if I come from North or South or it!

The canvas and the artwork is definitely nicer than feeling ashamed, yeah get some "chuffing" pics up.

i never notice my own accent but my step dad who would have been in his ninties now came from woodhouse or woodus as he called it he also pronounced sheffield as sheffild,always thought it odd that coming from only a few miles away he spoke different to me

Archived