National Fish and chips week - 20th year

Lets be fair they're hardly struggling to sell them are they?!

Actually a large number of traditional fish and chip shops have closed down over the last decade or so - not diverse enough for our enriched society. Instead, we have takeaways offering fried chicken, pizza, curry, kebabs etc...

Actually a large number of traditional fish and chip shops have closed down over the last decade or so - not diverse enough for our enriched society. Instead, we have takeaways offering fried chicken, pizza, curry, kebabs etc...

You didn't mention "Halal". :D

Are the places selling fish as well as the other things you mention? If so no harm no foul. Interestingly kebab houses are now offering masala fish for sale so F&C is evolving to meet the needs of our diverse palates

I'll be at Green Steps having some random white (but green) fish in gluten free batter. Thank you very much.

I walk past Green Steps daily, not been in for a good while, but the last time I did they had a sign up advertising 'Sheffield Fishcakes'

I had to ask about this seemingly new delicacy, never before known to me in all my born years of Yorkshireness.

The slightly shamefaced person serving said that they had re-named our ordinary fishcakes as new students to the area couldn't understand what they were being served - their idea of a fishcake was one of those perfectly round flat breadcrumbed things (a rissole?)

He added that the renaming was to prevent confusion, but seemed to have caused even more :D

Archived