Anybody had this scam on facebook

doyle

I had a message on facebook from a person claiming that a man with the same surname as me had died in a car accident in Togo, he apparantly worked for Shell. He died in 2007 and I am to be the sole beneficiary of his estate, could I contact him via his email. I normally ignore these things but decided to go along with it, so I sent him a message back saying there must be thousands of people with the same surname why pick us. He sent me this stupid email back sayin god had chosen me and i would definately benefit from this. I then got a message from my sister who had recieved the exact same email from him but with her surname so I messaged him back saying this is a scam or a very great coincidence that 2 people with our surnames died in the same crash. He sent me a message back saying it wasnt a scam and that if i wasnt interested he would look for someone with the same name. Anyone else received this?

I usually get a couple of scam emails a day. Here's one that arrived a couple of days ago:

Dear Friend ,

I am Thomas James., A Portuguese national,I was browsing and I saw your e-mail,

So i decided to write you if your e-mail is real, I have been diagnosed with esophageal

cancer. It has defiled all forms of medical treatment, and right now I have only

about a few months to live. I am very rich, but was never generous; I have given

most of my assets to my immediate family members.

I have decided to give alms to charity organizations. I cannot do this myself

anymore because of my health. I once asked members of my family to give some

money to charity organizations, they refused and kept the money. I have a huge

cash deposit of Eighteen Million dollars with a finance House abroad. I will

want you to help me collect this deposit and dispatch it to charity

organizations. You will take out 20% of these funds for your assistance.

I will like you to acknowledge the receipt of this e-mail as soon as possible and

treats with absolute confidentiality and sincerity.

Regards,

Thomas James.

I had a message on facebook from a person claiming that a man with the same surname as me had died in a car accident in Togo, he apparantly worked for Shell. He died in 2007 and I am to be the sole beneficiary of his estate, could I contact him via his email. I normally ignore these things but decided to go along with it, so I sent him a message back saying there must be thousands of people with the same surname why pick us. He sent me this stupid email back sayin god had chosen me and i would definately benefit from this. I then got a message from my sister who had recieved the exact same email from him but with her surname so I messaged him back saying this is a scam or a very great coincidence that 2 people with our surnames died in the same crash. He sent me a message back saying it wasnt a scam and that if i wasnt interested he would look for someone with the same name. Anyone else received this?

I have my grave suspicions that (My Bold) can roughly be translated from Togo-ese to Englishas

"Oh, flip! I've been sussed!"

No I don't use Facebook but certainly wouldn't have responded to that person if I did! Come on its an obvious scam and even after he said 'God had chosen you' you didn't seem suspicious !

I knew it was a scam straight away but wanted to delve a bit more so I could see if he asked me for any details, then I would have sent the email to the police, but wanted to know if anyone else on here had had the same email

No I don't use Facebook but certainly wouldn't have responded to that person if I did! Come on its an obvious scam and even after he said 'God had chosen you' you didn't seem suspicious !

It did make me giggle a bit when he said God had chosen me especially when God had chosen my sister as well, we must be blessed hahaha

Just don't respond / reply to these types. If you do, they'll know they have an active Email address, and it's quite possible that you'll get more of this spam in future, as they pass on your Email addy to their friends (they're not so concerned with data protection laws!).

Archived